Tiller Extensions/hiking stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wayne

Thank you JC for your reply, on April 25, to my question re tiller tenders. In your reply you made reference to tiller extensions/hiking stick. I'm fairly new to sailing and I'm not sure what this is. Can it be 'added to' my existing tiller? Is this something that I would benefit from having? What are the advantages to a tiller extension? Plus any other thoughts that you or anyone else might have re tiller extensions/hiking stick. Thanks.

M

marc

hiking stick

i used an old golf club with a knuckle on the end and it seems to work fine.i also have a spring clamp that holds it in place under the tiller handle when not in use

D

Dave West

Tiller Extensions

Wayne, A hiking stick is an extension that connects to your existing tiller. In a smaller boat, or when you are single handed you may want to add your weight to the windward side to correct heel. If you have to lean waaaaaay out you can't leave your hand on the tiller ... so you have a pivoting extension or hiking stick so you can control your vessel. I don't use one on my Mac but if I had a Thistle, Lightning or Hobie Cat I sure would.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Tiller extensions defended.

Not to advocate any particular brand, but I would consult the Forespar catalogue for hiking sticks. The Venture just begs to be sailed 'on the edge' and any small lightweight boat benefits from being sailed as closely to flat as possible. Get the weight out onto the rail and keep it upright in all but the nastiest weather. I would also recommend a sailor's harness then too-- for reasons that should seem obvious!! I prefer a ball on the end of the hiking stick but there are many options to that. One coincidental advantage to a T-handle is that it can easily be dropped into a block of wood at the coaming edge of the cockpit seat and thus serve as a self-steering rig, like for under power if you prefer to steer with the outboard lever. With a twist-telescoping handle you can adjust this for helm trim and everything. And a good Forespar hiking stick weighs about 1/20th of a standard sand wedge!!! JC 2

J

Jamie Shreeves

What is the website for Forespar

I am also looking for a tiller extension for my Macgregor 26S, what is the web site for Forespar? I also saw a couple of extensions in BoatUS, some of them looked way too over priced though.

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Forespar availability.

www.forespar.com --according to the back of the factory 2001 catalogue. You can acquire Forespar products and others like them at the mail-order catalogues such as West and Defender and probably Boat US stores carry them in stock. I would play around with a few and get the specs of the ideal thing you decide you want and then order it-- rather than buy sight-unseen or buy what they have in the store because it's all they have. JC

Status
Not open for further replies.