Tiller control for single handed sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scott in Portland

I have a C-27. Anyone have any good ideads on how to stabalize the tiller for short periods of time while grinding, running below etc.? I need about 30 seconds to 5 minutes and don't want to spend a lot of money. Thanks in advance

B

Bob Camarena

Tiller Locks

The West Marine catalogue has two solutions for $19-$22, but if you're into minimal, try a simply lashing the tiller. On my previous C-27, I'd run a continuous line from the tiller. outside the stanchions up to and around the mast. There was enough friction in the system to hold the tiller in place, and I could steer from anywhere from the cockpit to the mast simply by pulling on the line. It took a little practice to know which direction to pull to turn port or starbord from the different locations, but it made single handing a lot simpler and safer.

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Tiller tamer

These are the locks Bob was talking about. They're not actual steering devices, they're just for locking the tiller for a few minutes. Left for too long, it won't work well. Bob's suggestion sounds pretty cool AND cheap! LaDonna

R

Richard

get an autotiller autopilot!

They are not that expensive and it can make your life so much easier. I used to singlehand my 27 all the time with a navico autotiller. It was not very useful when sailing downwind (no autopilot is) or when sailing in very rough conditions. They are just great in winds of 0 to 20 knots or so if you are flying the proper ammount of sail. I most of all loved it for those times when I was motoring. Nothing more boring than holding a tiller on a motorboat! They are great for going below to use the facilities, put in reefs, point into the wind to raise and lower sails, while eating lunch, etc. Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.