Tightening Zephyr rudder stuffing box tips?

Aug 9, 2009
MOTH is design 959-H, a Zephyr sloop, and currently beginning to seriously weep around the rudder post above the stuffing box.

The stuffing box appears to have two ~3" discs with indents along the margin, as the gland nut structure. I assume one is to lock the other?

Q.1. Are the proper wrenches available somewhere, and if so, what are they called and where might they be found?

Q.2. Assuming that answer is no, before I take a couple of pipe wrenches or mega-channel locks to them, can anyone enlighten me about how they work, what direction unloosens the system, and better yet, what is the internal construction so I have some idea what I am about to do?

I hope this can be done in the water, although we can probably make it to hauling time if need be to properly repack the whole thing.

I saw the recent article on rudder reconstruction, which is really helpful, because that is high on the list of next repairs.

And, I also noticed that the posts only go back a year or so, and since MOTH too needs the chain plate fix, it would be neat to access what I assume must be great resources in the archives on that topic (since it seems to be so chronic to all models).

Bravo to all who have pioneered this site!

Aug 9, 2009
Having poked around some more, I discovered that the past pages are accessible, and there learned that I should find a pair of adjustable spanner wrenches for the rudder stuffing box. Safari turned up "Bolt and Tool Direct, and they have what looks to be just the item for $39 - which I'll order in the morning. Doesn't look like they are so gone that I'll run the risk of the nuts shattering, as one account I read, but I'll be gentle while still in the water...

Re the chainplates, I checked out the Challenger photos, but the Zephyr detail looks quite different. The chain plates are further in from the rail, and the boxes are quite bulky as a result. The ceiling stops on either side, and in the cabin are covered by a box probably 3" deep out from the ceiling and 10' tall.

Meltemi, a Mistral, is in the harbor where we winter, and the scuttlebutt around the Marion boatyard scene is that the hull was molded with the box as part of the hull layup, and then the cavity was covered and gelcoated on the outside. Does anyone have knowledge of that as a possibility for both the Mistrals and Zephyrs?

Aug 29, 2009
It may require the use of two pin wrenches, one to loosen the locking nut against the other (holding the actual packing nut).