Thru-Hull transducer

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
My depth gauge uses a thru-hull transducer bonded to the inner hull forward of the keel.
There is a spot on the outer hull where the gelcoat has been sanded off.
I have always assumed it was for the transducer?

Q. Can I patch this gelcoat without disrupting the depth gauge?
...and if not, what's the best way to protect that area? ...just wax?

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2013
I put mine in the same spot as yours without doing anything special to the coating or hull. I didn't even epoxy it in place. Just used some Lexel adhesive sealant to embed it. It's been right on the money accuracy wise for two seasons now, and that's with two coats of bottom paint (the underlying coat even has the copper in it).

Aug 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Olympia, wa.
Mine is mounted in the same place using a wet box, with the gel coat and bottom paint to shoot through. Works just fine. I wouldn't think there should be any problems with repairing the gel coat as long as there are no air bubbles.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I was "blessed" with holes already in the bulkhead, in the form of a suunto compass (that lost its clarity), and a broken Standard Horizon Speed/Temp/Depth...
Here are the holes I had to deal with...

and how I dealt with the "problem" Some 1/4" starboard and some creative cutting...

Without Covers

For those that might ask, my Tiller pilot provides decent heading numbers so long as I keep it still.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-18 Dallas TX
NIce.

I had Simrad instruments and tiller pilot on the Capri 26.
Good stuff.
What size is your tiller pilot?

Gelcoat won't bother the transducer.

I would guess that maybe someone has a poke-through transducer there once?
Would explain the sanded area.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Cavelamb... how was the Capri 26? I always admired the lines... the ONLY reason I didn't go from the Capri 25 to the 26 was the performance wasn't there.. which is interesting because it "looks" fast, for sure I'd have thought faster than a Catalina 27, but the numbers don't show it that way.

I went with the TP22 tiller pilot.. Simrads lowest sized tiller pilot, the TP10 doesn't interface with wind instruments, it ONLY steers. So the TP22 WILL interface with instruments using simnet, to steer to wind. Finally my S2 is a pretty heavy boat, 4472 lbs if I can believe the weight database, and because of the size of the rudder (transom hung) and it can load up pretty well I thought I'd go with slightly larger. It cost about $100 more to get the TP22 versus the TP10... By the way, the low end Raymarine will steer to wind, but to talk to simnet, you'd need a converter to convert the seatalk to NMEA 2000 (which apparently simnet is a nearly pure NMEA 2000)...

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina Capri-18 Dallas TX
The Capri 26 is a cruiser rather than a racer, but a high-performance cruiser, if you will.
Some top speed was indeed sacrificed in favor of comfort.
But it has the Capri hull shape, wind rig and cockpit, so the performance potential is there.
It's just slightly scaled back.

Temptress is a beautiful boat. We loved her a lot.
It's actually a few inches LARGER than a Catalina 27, at least where it counts.
The waterline is a few inches longer due to the 27's long overhangs.:)
The 10 foot beam (!) is wonderful. Makes for a roomy cabin.
And gives her wide shoulders to lean on on the wind.

I raced a neighbor's Catalina 27 under power for 6 miles across the lake one evening.
We had identical 9.9 HP Yamaha engines.
After 6 miles at full throttle, neither boat had gained a foot.

She has Simrad wind and water instruments on a swing out panel.
She has a TP-10 tiller pilot, but I never figured out the sail-to-wind part.

With the right sails she pointed like a hunting dog.
VERY impressive performance.
But her flat sails (7.5% camber at 18% chord) are not the same full-batten cruising sails Catalina provided!
We had them made by Mariner Sails in Dallas.

Oh, she couldn't take a Capri 25. Few boats can.
But with those sails, going to weather she could make a Capri 25 wonder what in the world was going on!
And she could show her cute transom to most of the rest of the fleet, including boats with much longer waterlines.

Downside with those sails is they are very unforgiving on the helm.
You HAVE to pay attention to the wind or the sails stall and lose all drive.
The analog display of wind speed and direction and GPS (Garmin color plotter) boat speed made that easier.
But you still have to pay attention.

Below there is a full galley, enclosed full head, and spacious lounge.
I had a ball customizing the interior.
I varnished all the interior woodwork. (clinical evidence of mental instability?)
Made a lift-out cabin door arrangement that was (IMHO) the best thing since sliced bread.
Custom electrical panel with everything in one place.
LED indirect lighting in the cabin.
Even central air conditioning and heating.

But like I said, the emphasis was (obviously) comfortable cruising.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Wow great review.

No question the achillies heel of the Capri 25 was point... I learned the "tricks" to speed with it, which isn't all that hard, you crack off about 3 degrees of the best of the fleets point, bring up speed, and you can get back with them for a bit.. Feathering like this I could make better VMG than MOST of the fleet, except a well sailed J/24, and S2 7.9. Since I got the 7.9 I figured out exactly what you describe about unforgiving point, the slot is very tricky... the hairline between fast VMG and stalled is pretty extreme, if its 2 degrees that would be a lot.

But I always admired the Capri 26, for it's cruiser tendencies. The Beam being a great reason to love it too. The walk through transom the lines, the look, just a very fine example of a modern Catalina Capri. I'd think that if they made a Capri 26, tall rig, fin keel they'd have had a pretty fine example of a sporty cruiser... But I guess the Catalina 28 kind of did the same (another boat I really like)...

No no no... don't get any ideas folks I am committed to the S2 7.9... but with all the solo sailing I do where I am NOT racing... cruiser features are nice.. which is why I am setting up my S2 in a more cruiser fashion.

Yeah I'm breaking some rules, but do you have any pictures of her under sail?