Thru hull factory valves

Oct 10, 2006
- - Port Arthur, TX
I have a 1984 Hunter 27 that I purchased in 2013. Don't know the boat/owner history and whether the boat is factory original with the thru hull valves. The installed valves are non-rising stem bronze/copper gate valves that are single clamped. Does anyone know if these are factory installed for that year model boat? I am going to pull the boat for a bottom job and while up and blocked will change if necessary. These valves are not leaking at the packing or at the attachment to the thru hull fitting. The valves just don't look like they belong in below the water line service or meet marine standards. Any help is appreciated.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Yes, Hunter used gate valves on their line of production boats.
It was obviously a cost issue.
When the first one failed on my '79 H30C, I replaced them all.
I seem to remember that they only had one hose clamp as well.
I changed that too.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes, those are likely original equipment and should be replaced by ball type valves. Those original valves can look good one day and disintegrate the next as you try to open or close them. Any hose going to a thru hull valve should be double clamped. Also keep a proper size wood plug tied by a nylon wire to the valve.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Definitely replace those glassed in stemmed gate valves during your boat's haul out. Bronze or marelon seacocks, properly installed, should be top priority retrofit.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2006
- - Port Arthur, TX
Thanks, I will definitely change those valves and thru hulls. Previously I had a 1978 Hunter 27 and did the retrofit on its thru hulls. Hard to believe Hunter would do a factory installation like that. Thanks for the help.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Big cost cutting decision on many production boats of the era. Catalina also... my 77 C27 was equipped thusly... was a big complaint by owners' groups... always mentioned in "issues" lists put by previous owners. Interestingly enough, I received a copy of the "known issues" list from Catalina customer service after making some enquiries when I purchased the then 22 year old boat. For some reason, it gave me comfort that I chose a conscientious builder. I'm sure Hunter would have done the same if they had stayed in business. So... don't feel bad. There's probably more on the Hunter "known issues" list, just like there are on the Catalina's. Just work on making the changes and your boat will stay happy.:cool: I actually had the list downloaded from owner's association website when I went boat shopping and ended up choosing one that had everything done already.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
@Calvin1Calvin
Former Hunter dealer who worked on a hunter 27 as a volunteer same model and year. Good advice given to replace those valves. Also, double clamp making sure the clamps are on in different directions
The head inlet valve handle broke off last year so I had both valves replaced for about $1000. Later i realized that sailing on the Chesapeake Bay requires the outlet to be sealed and tied off. So why did I replace a valve that I was never going to use? I have pulled all the hoses and the on board pump and sealed off the outlet. Much cleaner now