through hull

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I have 4 through hulls in my boat that cannot use... they are a bronze ball cock through hulls.... 2 are for the toilet, 1 is for the sink, and 1 is for the icebox drain... I have no need for these... I do not use the ice box, I have a fridge ... the sink, and toilet cannot be emptied out into the water.... it is against the LAW, to empty in to fresh or salt water...

my question is should I remove them and fill in the holes they made with resin to seal the holes , or should I just leave well enough alone.... my friends at the marina think I should leave them as they are, provided they do not leak.... the fittings inside the cabin gets in the way of what I am planning to do... I want to install a toilet holding tank, but the 2 toilet through hull fittings are where the tank would go, and the 2 through hull fittings inside the kitchen cabinette (sink and icebox) fill up the whole area under them that there is no room for anything else in there...

should I remove them, or leave them ?

sincerely
Jess

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
hello all I have 4 through hulls in my boat that cannot use... they are a bronze ball cock through hulls.... 2 are for the toilet, 1 is for the sink, and 1 is for the icebox drain... I have no need for these... I do not use the ice box, I have a fridge ... the sink, and toilet cannot be emptied out into the water.... it is against the LAW, to empty in to fresh or salt water... my question is should I remove them and fill in the holes they made with resin to seal the holes , or should I just leave well enough QOUTE]

If the decision is to remove and Fill the holes, you need to taper them and glass in layers of mat and cloth, not just glob thickened resin into the hole. Then sand, seal with something and bottom paint. Big job x4 Also, having an overboard discharge is not illegal. May come in handy when pump outs are all"broken". Is in fact legal to discharge off shore in salt water.
]

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
The Op is in Indiana, if he is on a lake it may well be illegal to discharge grey or black waters.

Here is a link to a video series I am working on about replacing thru hulls. This is part 1 removing the old thru hulls.
http://youtu.be/a9ZBrBWnNAs

I should have part 2 glassing in the old holes up in about a week or so

Dec 7, 2012
The Op is in Indiana, if he is on a lake it may well be illegal to discharge grey or black waters.

Here is a link to a video series I am working on about replacing thru hulls. This is part 1 removing the old thru hulls.
http://youtu.be/a9ZBrBWnNAs

I should have part 2 glassing in the old holes up in about a week or so
hello Sailvayu

thanks for the U-tube video.... I can't wait to see the others.... my through hulls were installed at the factory back in 1967... as most of my sailing is going to be on inland lakes for quite a while, the seacocks/through hulls are not needs and are in the way... I look forward to your next 3 parts to this project... I have easy access to all my seacocks/through hulls... not sure yet how easy they will be to remove, if that is the course I take... I have still not made up my mind yet, but I have until it warms up outside... right now it is way too cold to work outside on my boat

again thanks for the video

sincerely
Jess

Jan 27, 2014
S2 9.2C Kemah
Among the boats I have been associated with are Kittiwakes (3 to be precise) 1966-1967-1971.

I have the 71 on a Trailer right now. The first thing I did when I pulled out of the water was to rip out the sea head, cut out the thru hulls and glass them in. My opinion is, if you don't need to have a whole below the water line - don't have out. It took about a day to take the head out, remove the thru hulls and glass the holes. When you pull it out for a new bottom job, that is a good excuse to do the deed.

IBHO, unless you are doing a good amount of off shore sailing - a porta potty will work fine.

Dec 7, 2012
hello

I have a porta potty to use... the sea toilet is missing from my Kittiwake... the sea cocks are still installed... the more I think about it, I shall remove them and glass in the holes.... I agree, if not using them, then they need to be removed.... I do not like the idea of the sea cocks below the water line either...

most of the time my boat is going to be in lakes... but once in a while I will take it to the ocean to sail....

thanks
Jess