Through-Hull to Ball Valve Joint

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Its simple: don't use 'ball valves' or 'gate valves' of any sort. You need a seacock that, by definition, is engineered to mate with the NPS threads of your through hull fitting. Seacocks are made of the proper marine metals or plastics and have balls or tapered plugs as the moving, sealing part. They are expensive and are available from reputable manufacturers such as Apollo, Buck Algonquin, Perko, Groco, and Marelon. Accept no substitute.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Note that thru hull fittings, valves, etc. with BSPP threads are available in the USA; you can order them on the Groco website. These components all have the same threads; therefore, mis matched thread problem is eliminated. Not as good as dedicated seacock; however, I am not going to spend several thousand dollars to modify my grid / pan and build up the interior hull surfaces to accommodate seacocks.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Its simple: don't use 'ball valves' or 'gate valves' of any sort. You need a seacock that, by definition, is engineered to mate with the NPS threads of your through hull fitting. Seacocks are made of the proper marine metals or plastics and have balls or tapered plugs as the moving, sealing part. They are expensive and are available from reputable manufacturers such as Apollo, Buck Algonquin, Perko, Groco, and Marelon. Accept no substitute.
Just redid all my thru hulls - used Groco Flanged seacocks all around. Excellent product! Also redesigned a couple, removed 3 so instead of having 8 thru hulls, some in very strange places, I now have 5 thru hulls, all in very logical and easily accessed locations...

dj

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
I went thu hull the same issues when i bought all my stuff from Groco
Yeah it cost more to do it the right way but your boat your choice

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Often times you'll find marine life in the valve. Small mollusks shells can raise havoc. Do yourself a favor and conduct a close examination prior to starting the change out process.

cyryc

Dec 18, 2023
Newport 30-iii Ottawa
Often times you'll find marine life in the valve. Small mollusks shells can raise havoc. Do yourself a favor and conduct a close examination prior to starting the change out process.
Thanks sailme88 and CYQK. Yeah the seacock is entirely disassembled (see photo). I cannot find a 1/2-inch seacock to replace the original Groco SV-500, even a used one. I will also experiment with rejuvenating the withered rubber tapered cone core of the seacock and one day I will drill out the entire thruhull and replace with a 1 inch (tedious, because it is embedded in the fibreglass hull). (Others will join in the safety caveats about thuhulls and seacocks - I am also aware that 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch bronze seacocks fail the ABYC 500 lbs test but this is an enclosed area where such a force is very unlikely).

Attachments

cyryc

Dec 18, 2023
Newport 30-iii Ottawa
Apparently the usual problem of vintage Groco rubber core seacocks is that the rubber expands and operation becomes stiff over time. In this case it is abraided, withered and stiff. I cannot compress the rubber core enough with the thumbscrew to achieve a seal. Has anyone heard of the idea of adding a copper or bronze penny to the bronze compression disk that the thumbsrew operates against? Has anyone heard of rejuvenating this type of rubber by soaking it in isopropyl alcohol and methyl salicate (oil of wintergreen)?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Apparently the usual problem of vintage Groco rubber core seacocks is that the rubber expands and operation becomes stiff over time. In this case it is abraided, withered and stiff. I cannot compress the rubber core enough with the thumbscrew to achieve a seal. Has anyone heard of the idea of adding a copper or bronze penny to the bronze compression disk that the thumbsrew operates against? Has anyone heard of rejuvenating this type of rubber by soaking it in isopropyl alcohol and methyl salicate (oil of wintergreen)?
I would look for a bronze washer, not a penny. That's if it really is going to work.

I would be VERY skeptical of the rejuvenating formula you've posted. But I've not tried it. My polymer side is saying not a likely good option for a critical component like this.

dj