Through-hull left closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pat Higgins

Yesterday I mistakenly left the seawater intake through-hull closed and ran the engine (Westerbeke 42B)about 20 minutes before it dawned on me that the engine note was 'wrong'. I stopped the engine and restarted it with valve open. It started right back up, engine cooling water overheat alarm never sounded. The temperature gauge never moved however. Could sending unit have been damaged. Are there other potential problems to look for? Was that just not enough run time to overheat?

P

Pat McCartin

westerbeke overheat

Take a look at the raw water impeller. Usualy they only last about a minute with out water. They're made of rubber. Pat McCartin 1979 H30 "Therapy" Lake Lanier, GA

P

Pat McCartin

PS: Westerbeke overheated

My e-Mail is kd4yor@hotmail.com or Phone 404-259-4404 I'm also on Lanier at Sunrise Cove if you need more help. Pat McCartin 1979 H30 "Therapy" Lake Lanier, GA

G

Gordon Torresen

Overheat

If you have an overheat alarm and it was functional, you probably did not run long enough to overheat. The impeller could be damaged but quite often when the sea cock is closed there is no complete path for the water so some stays in the sea water pump. It would be a good idea to check the impeller anyway. You should also check that your alarms are functioning.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Keys

I read an idea last year someplace which makes a lot of sense and I follow it. Leave the engine key on the engine seacock after you close it and when you go out next time retrieve the key and open the seacock. Pretty foolproof method.

Status
Not open for further replies.