Throttle won't stay set

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Hello all engine smart guys.
The throttle on my Universal M-25XPB has started to act unusual.
If advanced over 2000 rpm it will sudden lower to idle. I can hold it
at higher rpms and it runs ok but will not stay by itself at 2000 and
above.
The linkage at the engine looks ok to me?
Although it is about three years old, it only has 60 some hours
on it. Edson pedestal mounted.
Is there some friction adjustment?
Thank you all.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
This might depend on your pedestal, but there is a friction bolt on the throttle lever. I don't remember, unfortunately, if you access it from outside or from inside.

TFrere

Oct 1, 2008
Morgan 382 Mandeville, LA
Install a clamp

I had the same problem after I changed my throttle cable. The previous owner had installed this clamp to correct it. Not sure where to buy them but they are available. All you do is clamp it on the cable to provide a bit of tension. Works great.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Emergency quick fix, jam a cardboard wedge between the lever and the pedestal in the desired throttle position.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Got One Through Edson...

I had the same problem after I changed my throttle cable. The previous owner had installed this clamp to correct it. Not sure where to buy them but they are available. All you do is clamp it on the cable to provide a bit of tension. Works great.
nm

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
This might depend on your pedestal, but there is a friction bolt on the throttle lever. I don't remember, unfortunately, if you access it from outside or from inside.
pull the compass off and its on top of the throttle shaft on the starboard side

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Defender has them

Webone

Apr 30, 2010
Jeanneau 45.2 Saugatuck, MI
I keep a short bungy cord around the pedestal to increase lever tension, worked fine for years now.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
When you use this type of clamp which crushes the outer cover of the cable, install it as near to the "head" of the cable- that is the top in the pedestal- as you can. I clamped mine where it enters the base of the cable. You want as little of the cable length to flex before the clamp as possible.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I do the bungee cord to. Years ago Edson came out with beautiful and heavy replacement throttle levers and it is my theory that many owners upgraded but never pulled their compass to readjust the tension for the new lever.