Three Sailors Lost Off Maine Coast

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Wow!
Astonishing they can't be found in the area 30 miles south of Mount Desert. When I hear about such things like this, I can't help but hold out hope that they are just somewhere unexpected and will be found; however this sounds so much like a truly lost vessel, I'm very worried for them and their families.
I hope all turns out well.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The search is underway again today. These late fall events(most common) are always very disturbing. So many questions and few answers. 20 NM South of MDI, a 3:00am 911 distress call,...that falls off. Many things that could go wrong go through my head.

Someone on Maine Sailing and Cruising FB page seems to think (not confirmed yet) that this boat, a Southern boat visiting Maine, posted in the spring: A woman onboard was asking about keeping warm on our coast.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Thank God.
Questions remain. Why the 911 call? Why not a Mayday? If they were okay after all, why not let the Coast Guard know and save a time consuming, expensive search?
I’m glad they’re okay but they have some explaining to do.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Thank God.
Questions remain. Why the 911 call? Why not a Mayday? If they were okay after all, why not let the Coast Guard know and save a time consuming, expensive search?
I’m glad they’re okay but they have some explaining to do.
The report from here is the CG wants to interview them at their next port of call. The 911 operator didn't actually hear the 'help'. Who knows? We'll likely never hear anymore.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Sue is not a sailor and she has told me that if she got scared off-shore, out of sight of land, she would use the radio or telephone to call for rescue and it wouldn't matter what conditions the boat is in. Honestly, I don't know for sure if she is serious or not, but I suspect that she is. It makes it very uncomfortable for me to trust her on a passage. I would have to see how she reacts to some very small trips off-shore. I'm hoping that is the next progression in our evolution as a sailing couple (which is progressing pretty slowly, quite frankly).

I can see how an inexperienced passenger on a sailboat could cause just this sort of problem …. :(

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Sue is not a sailor and she has told me that if she got scared off-shore, out of sight of land, she would use the radio or telephone to call for rescue
Same with my Sue.

So it is Satellite phone for us, but we have a 43' boat that we know takes 20' seas well, per another exact model of our boat experiences.
Our personal experience is 8' seas and the boat just yawned, but not my back.

So size does matter...:laugh:
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You are wise Scott to recognize the limits of comfort. Boat size could be helpful, but it is also an issue that too big might not be manageable by you as a solo sailor.

My Lyn, is not a sailor.:yikes: She enjoys the boating, and will manage the helm while I do all the boat management work, but not a passage and definitely not an over night where she is responsible for her safety standing a watch while I try to sleep.

At least not yet...:what:

She is uncomfortable being on the water where land is over the horizon.

These are fears that may or may not be overcome. Only way to know is to, as you say, try it... In baby steps.