Three blade prop for Catalina 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob

I'm planning to switch to a three blade prop on my 1989 Catalina 30 which has a 23 HP Universal diesel. I'd be interested in others experiences in doing this, particularly what size prop is best. Thanks

B

Bill

Three bladed props for Cat 30

I would strongly recommend a feathering three, they offer all of the bennifits of a fixed blade while motoring plus better performance under sail.

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 30 MKII Channel Islands Harbor, CA
12 X 12

We have a 1988 Catalina 30 MKII with (no doubt) the same 23 HP Universal M25-XP diesel. Ours is a 12 X 12 prop and seems to work fine in all conditions. If I were rich, I'd invest in a feathering or folding prop. While the 3-bladed prop provides great power, it also creates a lot of drag when sailing. Gary

B

Bill

Three bladed props

Our feathering 3 bladed prop has much less drag than our fixed 2 blade. Also, Martec has nice folding model that lists for about $700.

J

jamie

prop replacement

I DID A WHOLE ENGINE TRANNY SWAP LAST YEAR AND REPROPPED WITH A CAMPBELL SAILOR PROP. IT IS 3 BLADED AND works perfect. Practical sailor did a comparison test a few years back and this prop faired very well in the test,it also faired very well in (my price test) if you get a hold of adealer they will take all the particulars reduction gear etc. and will basically make a prop for your boat. jd

Status
Not open for further replies.