Third trip out...

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
So I got out Sunday with my son and nephew.

My nephew sail in college and made the trip easy.
We had about a 8knt wind that moved some which I expected as the wind was supposed to shift directions and increase in speed later in the day.

We sailed mostly into the wind and decided we would try to get through a bridge figuring the trip home would be easy with a broad reach wind. Current was going out through the bridge.
Every approach to the bridge we slowed and the current pushed up back and we had to tack and get out to keep from hitting the bridge.
Turned on the motor to get under.
Of course it did not help we kept finding the shallows on our tacks. They were taking us a couple of minutes to realize we were not moving. Then I pulled up the keel some and we started moving again. We were getting better at remembering to keep an eye on the keel.

Returning to the dock was a minor problem. The engine did not want to start. So we beached the boat. Still could not get it started. Then I realized the prop was in mud. So I walked the boat to the ramp cause it was that shallow.

So 3+ hours of sailing made for a nice day. My nephew loves sailing and I let him have control for a while so he was really happy. He cant wait to go out again. My son gets nervous when the sail catches some wind and we heel over some. He wants to go out again too.

I need to find a new friend that has a dock I can keep the boat. This trailing is a PIA.

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Well you found that things change as you get closer to structures. Wind which were steady suddenly appear fickle and currents along with approaching shoals suddenly make things more difficult.

That being said sounds like fun was had by all, the heeling nervousness will abate in time as people learn the boat, while trailering is a PITA now remember, its a great way to learn about the boat. Keep having fun, keep sailing and if your like me, you'll soon end up with an obsession.

Fair winds

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Nice post! Your adventures sound like the Bobbyfunn mutiverse. I have a goatee so you must be the good one...

I had the same experience with the green bridge over the manatee river. The wind died right underneath the road bed and tbe current stopped us like we hit the "invisible wall" of a video game. The current blew us back and to gain traction we had to veer off out of the channel which puts us in 2 feet of water over an abandoned submerged road.

When motoring, raise the keel so that there is only about 1 inch down. The centerboard will only be about 1 inch from the highest setting. This gives you excellent tracking and much less wetted surface, in addtion to great shallow water access.

I have better luck sailing under larger bridges.

Your next noob challenge, should you decide to accept it, is to sail into something that your jib is obstructing. That, or clothline your mast into a power line or tree. (dont do either!)

It helps to find mast up storage. It takes about 5 minutes to load the car with boat supplies, 10 minutes to unload supplies into boat and get boat off the trailer, another 10-15 minutes to sail off.

10 minutes to haul out and start the trip home (recklessly without trailer). 5 minutes to get boat stuff back in garage.

The time to secure the mast and boom for trailering is crippling. Raisingand lowering the mast takes very little time. At the club i dont even clean up lines anymore. Just make sure the jibsheets are cleated on both sides, disconnect the boom and rest on on the deck, put the trailer straps on (storm prep and in case club needs to move the trailer around). Mainsheet, jibsheets, centerboad line, vang, just rest where they fall.

When trailiering, all those lines are coiled ship shape taking time away.

Get your son on that mainsheet as soon as he feels comfortable. That gives him a counterbalance to grab, and it also trains his mind to prepare for the wind shift, plus he controls some heel.

Lets see some pics of your sailing area, if you can find a few hands free moments

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Shotgun

There are a few suggestions to make trailering easier. Be glad to call. You are learning just like the rest of us did and will improve. Are you sailing in Barneget Bay?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Sounds like a great time and lots of learning! I lake sail and we rarely ever get consistent wind, so always having to look ahead at the water, trees, and clouds and in general learn the unique nature of our area.

Having a boat on a slip / dock is the only way for me for sure!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I went sailing in a small boat with my 28 y.o. son the other day. He's such a charge ahead kind of personality, I was a little nervous about it until we heeled. He kept coming right up so we wouldn't catch any wind.
"You Ok?" I asked.
"Sorry, I get nervous when we start to heel. I don't know how much heeling this boat can take."
I should explain. I've only ever sailed with him once other than on his grandfather's 53 footer. It was on a hobie 14 at a resort with the winds very calm and getting blocked by the hotels along the beach. He rented one on his own after that and managed to dump it while waving at some girls. Same type of little beach resort Hobie.
"Don't worry, it can heel a lot."
We did nearly go over when he changed tack while I was on the gunnel. That was a short burst of excitement while I caught the CB to pull myself over. We had a lesson in communication after that.
"Ready about!"
Ha ha ha, kids, glad I was never one.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
mindset: i tell the little ones (and some big ones) that a sailboat is like a moving jungle gym. the healing then becomes a fun game for them. they all are good jungle gym climbers. they adapt quickly