Third follow up on "Pulling my hair out".

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
First off, Thank you Ward. You called it.
My curiosity got the best of me and I managed to remove the six screws holding the access board to the steering gear and hoses on the back wall if the aft berth, with my good hand! There is no rudder stuffing box on my '97. However, after further examination, Lo and behold, herein lies the source of all this hair pulling. In the attached photo, you will see the compromised exhaust hose where it attaches to the through hull.
Since I will be changing out my patched up muffler later on, I am assuming since the hose is shot, I will change this as well.
Questions are:
Will a patch job on this hose get me through the next 6 to 8 weeks, so I can get a bit of sailing in?
Does anyone know how long this hose is, so I can order one?
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Happy sailing,

Ralph

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
A patch of a self amalgamating tape, like RescueTape will get ya through the next few weeks. My suggestion would be to remove the top hose clamp and make a good tight smooth wrap of 2 or 3 layers (from the bottom clamp top to about 2" above the cracks) then reinstall the top clamp . If you can clean and scuff the hose a little where the wrap will be, like with a wire brush, the patch will stick better.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Does anyone know how long this hose is, so I can order one?
IIRC, I gave you a link to the C30 Io group in your first hair pull thread. Here it is again. They do know this stuff, since they are a boat-specific group.

Catalina 30 Groups Link

Subscribe at the web forum:

Catalina30 groups.io Group
*All things Catalina 30 and 309! Sponsored by the International Catalina 30 Assn IC30A. FAQs, Q&A, comments, and experiences especially fixes and modifications invited. Share with over 2200 other owners. Website catalina30.com* *Please join the International Catalina 30 Association.

or by sending an email to:
Catalina30+subscribe@groups.io

This comes from this sbo thread by weekendrken:

1992 Catalina 30