Thinking to Buy a 37

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M. Gray

I am considering purchase of a 1983 Oday 37. In competition is a 34 newer Catalina 1992. Any comments from the Oday owners of the merits. Really have fallen in love with the Oday. And I do like to tinker with boat repairs. Thanks By the way, What issue of Practical Sailor has the Oday 37 review?

H

Howard Levine

bias opinion

I've got a contract on purchasing a 37 right now and after tons of research i think this is the boat for me. There seems to be a big difference in those boats but the quality is probably equal granted the 37 is older. My guess would be which style of boat suits your purpose best would be the winner. Sorry i cant help you with much more than that but you'll find the info you seek here and would be glad to fax you the report. howie p.s. i fell in love with the 37 also and hope it doesnt sway me to buy a probelm boat! LOL

D

david lewis

catalina 34 or oday 34/35

have you done a comparison of a catalina 34 versus an oday 34/35? I have an oday 35 and just wondered why you would pick a catalina versus the oday? the catalina 34 tends to be about $15k more for a comparable boat and I question the value, the 34/35 is a great boat from my experience (same boats but the 35 gives you a swim platform) but I never really looked at a catalina 34. dave

R

Ron Sabadash

I just bought a '37

Howard, I just purchased a '37cc and would appreciate if you could send me the review as well. Any pros or cons that you have found? my email is sabadashr@ns.sympatico.ca Thanks

H

Howard Levine

bought a 37 also

Just finnished the deal on my 37. Aside from the things i have found here the deck on mine has alot of moisture. The cabin top had some but just around hardware and stress cracks which is a normal finding. However in the deck areas there really didnt seem to be an obvious entry way for the water to get to the plywood but it has. one other 37 i looked at was so bad that the whole deck and cabin top was actually bubbling up from the moisture. just have a good look at the boat you want to buy, the price we got ours for will easily compensate the cost of fixing her. And we should have our 37 trucked up to Lake Erie before April and hopefully in the water within a few more weeks. howie

C

Carl Sickles

37 ODay Owner

Have had ours for many years and give the boat much praise. Understand the age of these boats may have drawbacks. You really need to check it out. Areas I would pay attention to: cock pit floor, cabin lighting/wiring in genral and V-berth hatch to name a few. I have a copy of the practical sailor article and can fax it out if you let me know the number. Overall it is a very good boat. My biggest complaint is no seat at the helm. On long trips it becomes very tiresome. The boat holds a good point of sail and can take a pounding in heavy weather. S/V Pursuit

Status
Not open for further replies.