thinking of buying od 39/40

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark stevens

I read the oday 39 review on this site and was impressed with this one review. I would appreciate hearing from anyone their opinion of this model for offshore capabilities ie. crossing the gulf stream and voyaging to BVI and perhaps a little further.I am not looking to cross oceans, but would like feedback as liveaboard cruiser, any drawbacks, any major problems encountered, etc. Also, what is the big difference between the 40 and the 39. I see several 40's for sale but no 39's yet.

B

bobbyj

response to m.stevens re. oday 39

i have owned an oday 39 since 1984 and love the boat.The only difference between the 39 and 40 is a built in glass swim ladder.The boat is quite capable of ocean crossings as evidenced in winning a transatlatic race under the jeanneau label in 1982. Plenty of liveaboard space and fast boat. Huge cockpit which is a plus and possible negative in storm conditions.

N

Neil Scoltock

39/40

The 39 & 40 share the same basic hull.For the 40 the cabin house was lenghtened & interior rearranged, mast moved aft a bit, and swim platform added.The 39 has a Universal 44 and the 40 has a Westerbeke 46. The above info was taken from a Practical Sailor review of the 39/40, which was favorable overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.