Thinking about buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan

I'm getting ready to buy a MacGregor26. I have a Cal25 and am tired of never being able to get to the good places to sail. My brother says the MacGregor26 is unstable, sluggish as a sailboat, and will only handle well as a motor boat if the sea is perfectly flat. I'm hoping he's wrong. The last time I took my Cal25 to Catalina, it took me 4 1/2 hours. I guess I want to know from MacGregor owners if you're happy with your boat's performance.

K

Kevin in NM

Owning a MAC

You may want to review some of the recent posts on this subject. I enjoy the versatility of my Mac but recognize its limitations and accept the compromise in some areas. BOL, K

M

Mike

Are you going to motor or sail?

Are you looking to motor or sail? If you are looking to sail and you are concerned with performance you are looking at the wrong boat. Most of the people who rave about the 26x are because of its ability to be everything else besides a sail boat. I've never heard anyone say its strong suit is sailing. Look at a 26 Classic if you want better sailing performance.

M

Morris Rooms

Mac26X performance

Dan, have had a 26X for three seasons, sails fine but will never be a racer, except against other 26X's. Sailed in up to force 4-5 but if winds get any higher drop the rags and use the 50hp to get outta there. So much for the brotherly remark it only motors well in flat calm. Like any other boat the 26X has its weak points and a lot more strong points then most. Sailing I normally keep up or beat boats of similar size, motoring the only sailing yacht that ever got close was 100ft super yacht called Georgia which looked like a motor super yacht with sails and presumably had a 500hp engine. Cheers Morris 26X99 hullaballoo UK

F

Flip

Unstable

I recently sailed to Key West in my Mac 26X. One day we had 25 knot winds with gusts to 35. We had only a problem coming closer than 50 degrees to the wind. Sailed great.

Status
Not open for further replies.