things to look for purchasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2007
- - alameda
I am somewhat new at sailing and considering buying a 1978 30 newport mk11 , can anyone give me the pro and cons about these boats. or about what price range you would pay the boat looks clean .there was an in water servey done that showed minor things to be fixed such as to rebed 4 stantions and replace life lines in the near future. ALso what type onf engines are normally in these boats. Thanks Karen

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Karen, This will bring you an avalanche of

responces. I would look for signs of abuse beyond normal wear and tear. They are pretty obvious. Knocks on the woodwork ,chips and cigarette burns, spills that weren't cleaned up. Engines in that age could be diesel or gasoline either is acceptable if it has been well cared for. Perhaps the best sign of a well cared for engine is cleanliness. If the owner kept it wiped clean and painted the rust, if the insulation on the wire is clean and the connections are not showing signs of corrosion and there are no empty oil bottles lying about, it should be better than fair. Check the underside of the cushions for mildew, open all of the compartments and use your nose, the boat should have a neutral smell. Don't be too influenced by "sleeps 6", can it toilet four. if you cook check out the galley to see if you could make meals there when the boat is moving. There is much more and others will add much.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Karen..

You'll need to do your own full survey out of water including above and below water moisture readings. You'll also want to sea trial and test all systems. Then you'll likely need a competent rig survey (most regular surveyors don't do this). Beyond that I always send a sample of the oil for an oil analysis. The reason for a rig survey is simple. If your rigging were to fail, and you lost your mast, the insurance company would most likely not pay off if you did not have a full rig survey prior to purchasing stating the rig was in perfect working condition. Here are a few key areas that a good survey will focus on. Wet decks rotten mast steps rotten bulkheads blisters keel bolts and keel stub shaft & strut including cutlass bearing steering mechanism electrical system plumbing system (in compliance) etc. etc. A good survey usually pays for its self.

Status
Not open for further replies.