Things I changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ray

Hi All, Since this is my first year with my boat I have been making a few changes. For one I did install a LCD Hi-Def TV and mounted in the opening to the fwd cabin. It is a $200 Polaroid I got from WalMart. I also installed a solar panel and a desulfinating battery charger from BatteryMINDER that appears to have resuscitated my #2 battery (it will now start the diesel and run the hotel loads that it could not do before). Finally, I have been experimenting with the main sheet jam cleat trying to make it more efficient. The attached photo should give you all an idea what I did. In all three cases I was loath to add any new holes to the boat. For the TV mount I took a board and drilled holes to match the TV bracket and the chain plate for the port shrouds plus longer screws. For the solar panel I used 1" aluminum bar and SS bolts and nuts to mount to the stern rail (stern in slip at marina always faces south), and for the main sheet I used longer screws and some marine board scrap. Ray

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
what's wrong with putting a new hole in the boat?

you know, you can never actually call it yours until you drill a few holes in it. Contrary to what some new onwers think, I've never heard of a boat depreciating because there are some non-factory holes drilled into it. Regarding the mainsheet.... if you really want to make it more efficient... run it back to the cockpit where you can reach it without leaving the wheel. For instance, you could re route it alongside the cabin to a secondary self tailing winch on the gunnel near your helm. Of course, this would mean drilling a few holes but it would allow you to tack and jibe without leaving the wheel, assuming the jibsheet winches are also close by.

R

Ray

Working the main sheet from the wheel

Holes are normally not a problem, but it was a bit more interesting to do it without more holes. Regarding the main sheet, I think the way it is rigged now I can work the main sheet from behind the wheel which was also what I wanted. This is similar to what I had on my US27 where the main sheet control had a C-Cleat and from behind the wheel you simply had to give the line a snap down and it would release. For my setup just give it a snap up and the line should release. I did consider adding a cleat to the gunwale right behind the wheel to stbd of the walk-through transom if this does not work. For now I do work the genoa sheets from behind the wheel and I really appreciate the self tailing winches as they are really nice and I hope with this set-up to do the same.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Antenna

Ray Did you still use the TV antenna that came with the boat, you know the disc on top of the mast? paulj

Feb 21, 2007
- - Quantico, VA
Yes, I use the stock antenna

The stock antenna works great. I originally thought you would need a new antenna to get the hi-def channely, but that appears to not be the case. Just have to remember it's power is wired into the stereo.

MarkZ

Nov 5, 2005
Hunter 49 Green Turtle Bay: Ky
Battery desulphator...

Ray, Did you connect just one battery minder to both batteries so it'll maintain both simultaneously? I think I'm going to put one of those on my boat this year before I winterize it. Did you get the 15 Watt Solar Battery Charger that comes with the solar panel or did you buy a separate panel?

Feb 21, 2007
- - Quantico, VA
Battery Hook Up

For now I only have one battery at a time hooked up. I was a little concerned about hooking both batteries to the charger as I was afraid that would open a path for one battery to equalize the other. The BatteryMINDER documentation and tech support stated I could hook up to 4 batteries in parallel, but I did not feel good about that. If I had a diode set-up between them that would work, but I opted for simplicity. It was a real bonus to have the shore power charger back there in the aft port locker so I did not have to run all new wires, and it is simple to change from charging one battery to the other. I used enslosed terminals.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
C310 Mainsheeting

Ray, I can just manage to sheet the main from the helm, but in higher winds, releasing the clam cleat is difficult. I think your idea is an improvement. But the hot setup I have seen from other owners is installing a Spinlock cleat. It's a change I'd like to do, but never got around to. Some one did post the conversion instructions on one of the forums quite a while back.

Feb 21, 2007
- - Quantico, VA
The spinlock cleat is interesting

Jon, I have to say I never noticed the spinlock until you pointed it out. I used a C-Cleat for two reasons - 1) I had one just sitting around, and 2) my Catalina 22 used a C-Cleat for the jib sheets so I was already familiar with the operation. From looking at the spinlock it looks like an ideal situation. It would be nice if all the websites out there showed more than just the one side where the line enters. If my contraption does not work out I may try the spinlock as they are pretty inexpensive.

Jon W.

May 18, 2004
Catalina 310 C310 Seattle Wa
Spinlock installation

If I remember correctly, it just fits in the location of the current clam cleat. It needs one new hole drilled and tapped. The cabin top's internal aluminum plate extends just outboard enough from the stoppers to accommodate the new tapped hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.