There's always a positive side...

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
While most are worried about the economy, with good reason, I tend to follow the buy low mentality.

This deal popped up for me this past weekend and I could not be happier!

She a Maine built 10' B&S Whitehall sailing dinghy. She needs some varnish work but other than that she was barely used and not "dragged" up a beach.

They are still made and cost $3700.00+ if you want to buy new. I won't even tell you what I paid but suffice it to say it was about the cost of two gallons of good bottom paint..:D

This economy may allow some of us to find and afford things we've always wanted. Please let's not turn this into a political discussion!!

Watch yard sales, eBay and Craigs List!! What good deals have you found recently?

Nice Lines:

Nik

Mar 15, 2008
MacGregor 26D Valparaiso, Indiana
She's a beaut' and I HATE YOU... LOL.... Good deal, Congrats....
Tomorrow, I am going to one of our other Manufacturing facilities (middle of Indiana corn fields) and I am going to stop and inquire on a daysailor that hasn't moved in 6 years. Wish me luck....

Nik

Aug 3, 2007
Catalina 22 Milwaukee WI
I agree

with the buy low mentality. I keep telling my wife now is the time to upgrade to a larger boat. Now if I can only convince her to go along with it.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
She is nice but a man can serve two boats

unless he is retired!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Re: She is nice but a man can serve two boats

Wow... I've been watching Craig's List for several weeks looking for a good deal on a dinghy. Congrates.

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Lucky Find Maine Sail

We seldom find anything like this around here, even for medium amount of money, much less a couple buckets of paint. Good find.

Guess you get to extend your sailing season a little longer even though you have hauled out already.

I noticed you have unstepped your mast, do you drop it every winter?

Feb 6, 1998
Yes..

I noticed you have unstepped your mast, do you drop it every winter?
Yes it's a keel stepped spar and I don't like any water, let alone frozen water, in my bilge over the winter. Also the mast step design could freeze and split the mast if the drain tube froze and it filled the mast with water.

It's a really neat design and she has a dedicated "mast sump" that the hose drains into. This sump is separate from the rest of the bilge so the only area to see any water is the mast sump which I suck dry with a turkey baster after big rains....

Jun 19, 2004
Catalina 387 Hull # 24 Port Charlotte, Florida
Thanks

I knew you didn't like any water in the bilge, much less frozen and I didn't of course realize it was stepped in that manner, so it makes good sense. We are fortunate in that we don't have to deal with that here that often, especially if the boat stays in the water for those of us that keep them in and use them all winter. That's really neat,,, is that a modification of yours? Really slick. Thanks for the pic :)

I hate water in my bilge also, and have to use a shop vac to get it out, since the pump is mounted on a 1 by block to keep the pump up off the bottom of the bilge and from sucking crud or whatever to foul it and allow it to fail. So, I deal with it with the shop vac till I come up with a better solution. Since I pull my paddle and temp sensor when I am in the berth, the water gets in, so there isn't much I can do. I have also noticed that I'll get water in from the mast when it rains really hard also. I have wondered why Gerry Douglass didn't put sumps into the design of the Catalinas to help those of us that want to keep the bilges dry, dry!

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
Thief!
No, just Pirate!
Give her a good home, and see the vessel is passed to capable hands when your time is at hand and all is forgiven.
Bless you my son.
Fair winds

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 25 pittsburgh
Maine Sail, I can't believe someone would take advantage of you like that....

I am so sorry you paid so much for this ....dingy.
I feel bad enough that I will send you one gallon of high quality bottom paint to get that nasty boat that is in your back yard that the neighbors are upset because the sail is stuck up on the mast.
It sounds like the maintenence of the mast bilge is tedious.
How about I send you a quart of high quality bottom paint, deal?
Your friend,
r.w.landau

Dec 8, 2007
Irwin 41 CC Ketch LaConner WA
Re: Maine Sail, I can't believe someone would take advantage of you like that....

Looks like fun albeit a little tippy..let us know what model Ronca you put on her....:D

Jan 27, 2007
Irwin 37' center cockpit cleveland ohio
large Whale hand pump $5.00
Two wood blocks mediums...$3.00
Three snap shackles...$2.00 for the big ones...$1.00 for the medium (WM lists them at $27+
Hundreds of feet of GOOD 1", 5/8", 1/2" and 3/8" line...FREE (dumpster diving)
2005 Freestar..39,000 mi...$5500
All from garge sales (cept the free stuff).

A friend bought a like new Singer sewing machine that is a duplicate to the Sailrite Walking Foot one he has at a Church sale for...sit down for this one...$3.00. Seems thy were asking $40, and it was getting late, and they posted a sign that said "All You Can Cram it in a bag...$3.00". He did.
He brought it to the boat and sewed through 7 layers of 8oz sail material as well as his Sailrite.

Oh, forgot...Second hand clothes store...3 marine coastal raincoats, large, with liners, in like new condition..$10 each. One was something called Musto...

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I picked up a "80's" Hobie 16 recently - put a little work into it including making everything quick connect and adding a mast raising gin pole system. Added also a Hobie "bob" float at the top.
Total investment is $1100

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Recent scores

Beautiful boat Mainesail, but where will you mount the TV in this one? LOL

Brand new navpod cut for two ST60's (holds up to three) off ebay for $30. I'm looking to move my GPS from the coaming (where it is pretty useless) to the guard. as well as my stereo's remote control. Looking for a good deal on a 1 inch angled guard if anyone has one. Winter project.

Feb 6, 1998
Easy LCD Projector..

Beautiful boat Mainesail, but where will you mount the TV in this one? LOL

Brand new navpod cut for two ST60's (holds up to three) off ebay for $30. I'm looking to move my GPS from the coaming (where it is pretty useless) to the guard. as well as my stereo's remote control. Looking for a good deal on a 1 inch angled guard if anyone has one. Winter project.

I was thinking of a LCD projector aimed at the sail? :D:D

Do you have an iPod? If you do than you can use a RF remote control that requires no wiring to be run... I really can't believe that in this day and age we don't have stereos that utilize RF technology and we still hard wire them. You can buy an ABT iJet iPod remote, that will work up to about 80 feet away, for about $30.00..