There is water under the bed...

May 4, 2022
O'Day Mariner Miami
Water is coming out in the well at the base of the compression post. The level is stable just moving with the boat. It should not be too much of it because most of the space is filled up with foam.
I have to remove the water and fix the crack in the floor under the compression post plus replace the base.
Since I do not plan to take the boat off water yet, my idea is to pump the water manually through the hole on the top of the V bed floor, at least as much as possible.
Where is this water coming from? As far as I know there is no through hole in the front. Could it be accumulated condensation? How bad coud it be?
You can see a video here:
Thanks for your comments and ideas.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Since I do not plan to take the boat off water yet,
The boat is afloat in saltwater? Is it saltwater in the bilge?
That seems a lot for condensation, which you would also see ahead of the centerboard trunk (the lowest point in the boat), unless there was some reason you only got condensation in the bow.

If that is saltwater, I would suspect that crack, it looks bad and the result of a collision. That might be what broke the original compression post. Such an event would transfer its energy up the post to the cabin ceiling and to the tabernacle, up mast and to the stays. Here's a link to your Loose Shrouds thread. You may want to trailer your boat until you get the crack fixed. Fixing the rotting compression post may put more pressure on that crack and allow more water in.

Other thoughts:
  1. your foam is soaked. That is common in these older Mariners. Most owners I've read about, end up drilling drain holes into the compartments under the vee-berth and let it drain over weeks and months with a heater on it.
  2. Rain is getting in through the vent or the hardware, like the tabernacle and bow cleats are in need of rebedding.
Common places for leaks are also the hull to deck seam, and the chain plates.

-Will

May 4, 2022
O'Day Mariner Miami
Hi.
Thank you.. I’ll try to answer your questions:
  • The bilge pump area is dry. I also think it is condensation because the amount is limited and does not overflow to the bilge pump. Today base of the compression post was dry but the water was calm when the past days we had SW wind moving the boat a lot and so the water below moving through the crack.
  • Other causes mentioned are possible. I have to check all these possibilities one by one but I have not seem traces of leacks so far.
  • Regarding the possible relation between the crack and the compression post, it is probably the reason. The following picture shows how much the post has moved forward.
Alain

Attachments