The WTF Thread

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Do you think Crew should sign a waiver?

As crew on your boat, I may do something silly that could be considered funny. I know sailing can be a dangerous experience. If I should not look and fall through a hole I will hold the skipper harmless. Unless he captures it on video, and when posted it goes viral. Then we shall split all monetary rewards.​

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Do you think Crew should sign a waiver?

As crew on your boat, I may do something silly that could be considered funny. I know sailing can be a dangerous experience. If I should not look and fall through a hole I will hold the skipper harmless. Unless he captures it on video, and when posted it goes viral. Then we shall split all monetary rewards.​
I've thought about it since it happened, too. Almost all our "pastimes" are hazardous. Watch any episode of AFV or search Youtube for golf fails or jetski bloopers, not to mention "hunting accidents". How many signed waivers in these videos? Is motorcycle riding or mountain climbing safer? How many skydivers use GoPros.
He told me to put the fall in the video. If any of the crew do not want something in a video, I won't put it in. Thankfully he's okay. When videography and sailboat racing are your hobbies, you'll eventually catch incidents like this. This just looked a lot worse than it was.
And I refuse to wear a bikini in any of my videos just to make them go viral.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bill, I admire his willingness to share.
That he is still thinking and talking after that fall, not crying, is a wonder.
I can empathize. I had a softball accident while filling in for a suddenly sick Umpire behind the plate. The third pitch missed the catchers glove and caught me beside the cup.

After a brief moment where I turned and waddled behind the plate. I stretched, cried play ball, and while getting down behind the catcher whispered. "I am going to guess you just missed that one. Miss another and the strike zone is going to get really small for your pitcher." She looked up at me with shock in her eyes. She played the best game of her life after that.

Watch any episode of AFV
That is why I added the last sentence to the suggested waiver.