the"Venture" model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2008
Macgregor 21 Maricopa, CA
Is there a way to tell if I own a "Venture" model or just a plain 21' Mac?
Thanks!
Michael
1968 21 Macgregor

Jan 8, 2007
Macgregor 23 New London CT.
Michael, I have a "newport venture 23 " and the hull number starts with MACN. if that means anything ? I have stickers on the port and stbd. side of the stern (a foot from the stern or slightly less) that say Venture on them. You could look at the jelcoat and see if it looks like it had those stickers on it at one time. You could also e-mail Magregor or call and give them your hull number, They would know.....good luck.....smitroe

Nov 27, 2008
Macgregor 21 Maricopa, CA
Difference?

Other than stickers, are there any features/design differences? Thanks!

Michael, I have a "newport venture 23 " and the hull number starts with MACN. if that means anything ? I have stickers on the port and stbd. side of the stern (a foot from the stern or slightly less) that say Venture on them. You could look at the jelcoat and see if it looks like it had those stickers on it at one time. You could also e-mail Magregor or call and give them your hull number, They would know.....good luck.....smitroe

Oct 23, 2008
Macgregor v22 Tacoma
My V 22 has the same stickers. The way I understand it there are really no differences, the designer chose to call them Ventures untill he knew he had a good thing then he put his name on it.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
1968 Venture 21

Thanks!
Michael
1968 21 Macgregor
If you have a 1968 boat it is a Venture 21 not a Macgregor 21. If it is a 1968 it will have an 18" draft, and because of the draft sit higher on the trailer.

About Christmas in 1970 Macgregor starting building the the Ventures with a 12" draft. They did not have hull liners. I picked my boat up my new boat at the factory at Christmas in 1970 and it has a hull number of 1524

The first boats with hull liners were built in in the early 1970's. The last of the Venture labeled boats and the first Macgregor label boats were identical.

http://macgregor.sailboatowners.com/images/kb/med/m_1314.jpg

This site has one of the first Macgregor branded boats.

If it has a hull number attached per the current Federal regulations it is a Macgregor 21.

If the Hull number is drilled into a stringer under the cockpit it is a Venture 21.

The best way to identify the year of the boat is to look at the pictures in on this site and similar sites. While there will be some miss identified boat, most will have the correct years.

If you can post the hull number there are enough of us that we can help you get a more precise year for your boat.

I wish someone with a website would develope a table that with the hull numbers and features that would help identify the old Venture/Macgregors. I would be glad to contribute what I know

Jan 8, 2007
Re: 1968 Venture 21

Knuttle, Thank you for the information and link. I am going to look mine up. Its supposed to be a 1979 "Newport Venture-23". It has the 18" draft and an inside liner. its the cutter you see in my avatar. Again Thanks. off to that link.....Smitroe

Jan 8, 2007
Re: Difference?

Michael, Other than the fact that its a cutter and has 3 sails I really don't know. Knuttle sent a great link along some real good advice and you can follow his advice . I am going to myself...Thanks... Smitroe P.S. my boat is right alongside my house so if you need me look for any numbers or anything, just let me know..you may also e-mail at smitroe@sbcglobal.net

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
Wadler's List

Thanks!
Michael
1968 21 Macgregor
I've been referring to this list for close to 10 years now. Mostly complete for MacGregor Sailboats including the Venture.

Jan 8, 2007
Re: Wadler's List

Phil thanks for this link, it looks my boat is 3 years newer than the registration states.It was from out of state and boat dates sometimes change everytime a boat is registered. anyway thanks for the link , its great .....Smitroe

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
Smitroe, (and others who would like to know how the Venture 23 differs from other Ventures)

The Venture 23 combines the interior accommodations of the 22/24/25 models and the speedy underbody of the 21 with the sail plan and rig of an 1890s pilot cutter. Despite the "old-fashioned" look she is, when properly sailed, faster than any other Macgregor/Venture, except possibly the 21.

For the history and more information about this unique boat, check out the VN23 owners' group at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/venturenewport/

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2008
Macgregor Venture 22 Lake Kerr
I have a venture 22 or 2-22 and it has the original sails on it, I believe. If the practice is true, because I have not crawled under to see if the hull number is there, the sail shows a "499", which should be the hull number. Based on what I have read, it could be older than 1972. Guess I need to do some crawling around.

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
I believe you are right about the sail number matching the hull number, However there are exceptions.

I picked my Venture 21 up at the factory in Costa Mesa a couple days after Christmas in 1970. The hull number is 1524, and the sail number is 1693. Since by the time I realized that there was a difference, I was six months and 2500 miles from Costa Mesa I did not make a fuss.

I assume there is at least one other boat out their where the hull number and the sail number are different.

Oct 23, 2008
Macgregor v22 Tacoma
JK my v 22 is a 72 and the hull number is 697. I would think it's maybe a year or 2 older than mine.

M

MacnEd

Check out the sail

I used to have one of these before it was stolen at Laguna. The main had a V-222 on it. Wonderful boat. Mine had a red hull and the name Maria on the sides. If you see it, let me know.

Jan 8, 2007
Heinzer, Thank you I just read your Venture post now.12-29-08. I didn't know about the speed.I like the old cutter boaty looking style of it. Many people notice it and ask me about it. It does have a real unique look to it....I,ll check out that website...thanks Smitroe

W

Whitey

Venture 1977, New Owner

I just picked up a 1977 Venture, needs a little work.
Does anyone have pictures or detail info on winch set up for kneel.
Seems a little weird, with wood going across the seat?
Stripped everything from inside the boat, everything had to go, due to mold on cushions.
Any idea where to pick up new cushions.
Have to get the boat ready for Wed races in Greenport,NY.
Summer right around the corner.

Greenport,NY

Status
Not open for further replies.