The two boat system

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hi all.

I live about as far from one of the Great Lakes as you can in Michigan. While I’m within 4 or 5 hours of quite a few really nice sailing grounds, I’m 2 hours away from the closest one.

My solution as of last year was to have an 11 ft sailing and rowing dinghy that is perfectly well suited to the many 400 -1000acre lakes near my house, and a Capri 18 that I can tow to bays and protected water on the big lakes.

It works out pretty well, except one thing. I only sail my “big”boat a couple times per year. It’s usually for a weekend or longer, but somehow I imagined getting it out more often.

The small boat has the advantages that there are several really nice sailing lakes within 10 miles of my house, and it takes 10 minutes to rig and launch.

But I do love that week long vacation on the big lake.

Do any of you employ similar solutions to get out on the water more often?

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Hi all.

I live about as far from one of the Great Lakes as you can in Michigan. While I’m within 4 or 5 hours of quite a few really nice sailing grounds, I’m 2 hours away from the closest one.

My solution as of last year was to have an 11 ft sailing and rowing dinghy that is perfectly well suited to the many 400 -1000acre lakes near my house, and a Capri 18 that I can tow to bays and protected water on the big lakes.

It works out pretty well, except one thing. I only sail my “big”boat a couple times per year. It’s usually for a weekend or longer, but somehow I imagined getting it out more often.

The small boat has the advantages that there are several really nice sailing lakes within 10 miles of my house, and it takes 10 minutes to rig and launch.

But I do love that week long vacation on the big lake.

Do any of you employ similar solutions to get out on the water more often?
Definitely. We have a 14 footer that we sail (mostly) on a lake close to home, and a 22-footer that we moor in the summers ~2.5 hours away in good cruising grounds. For a daysail, we love being able to go from the parking lot to the water in 10 minutes. Seems like you have a great system.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
We are on a two boat system tied in with being retired snowbirds. This all could change next year as Im getting close to a real estate shuffle but currently have a 26 ft sailboat in Arizona and keep it in a slip for 5 months during the winter. It lives rent free in the side yard of a house we own there during the summer so very low cost and I usually come there during the summer and take it to S. California (such as Catalina Island) . For most of the time during the summer, we are in Colorado and sail a Hobie TI. The TI is great for the gusty Colorado winds and easy to move around to different lakes because the invasive species inspection is very simple. TI also has a less than 10 minute setup time.

This does get me out on the water more often because the change of boats and sailing location keeps things fresh for me.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Many sailors have a 4 or 5 boat system. They have 4 or 5 boats in the back yard that never get sailed at all.

I am a little surprised that you are not sailing the Capri on those smaller lakes. Anything 400 acres or more would be just fine for an 18ft boat.

Feb 19, 2008
That’s what my wife says.

There is a “yacht club” on the largest of the small lakes, and she thinks we need a slip there. I think the passagemaker dinghy just “fits” the small lakes better. Not sure why. We used to keep our Hunter 170 in the marina, it took less wind to sail, rowed decently when the wind died, etc.

Some of the lakes are pretty shallow, so 600 acres, but half of it sailable.

Feb 19, 2008
@Daveinet

I really do have about 6 boats. My wife calls them “the fleet.” I’ve built a couple, bought a few.

Two boats get used. The others get wet when it rains. Except the cedar strip canoe, it’s hanging from the garage roof, so it doesn’t even get wet then.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have for years.

On the outskirts of Minneapolis we have Lake Minnetonka, where we keep our First 260. Its a 6 minute drive from home, and its our getaway in the city. Everything from daysails to weekending to racing. We can trailer it but don't. No need.

4.5 hours away I've kept a 35 footer. Apostle Islands on Lake Superior. Bigger boat bigger waters, but pretty much the same drill. 2 boats sharing the same limited summer season. I hate having one sit while I use the other. Does not make a lot of sense.

I got rid of one because they serve the same purpose. Kind of like yours do. Why not always use the 18 footer? Bigger, more capable, more technical. More fun?

We're saving the cash and am looking at winter solutions... a 2nd boat in Florida, San Diego, or the Caribbean.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
There’s generally much better winter sailing in FL (west coast) than in CA as you can sail on the north to NE winds that follow cold fronts. In CA, those winds are Santa Ana’s, and most folks avoid them. Most of the island anchorages are open to the east and northeast. In FL, the dry season is in late fall, winter, and mid-spring. In CA, the dry season is late spring to late fall.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
Very glad I’m not the only one with two sailboats. I have a 25’ on a larger lake 1 hour away and a 18’ on a small lake at my summer cottage. I need to tell my wife that I’m not that crazy then. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Would love to have one to race and one to cruise, but alas I just have to figure out how to get out of the bottom finishers with our cruiser. Racing against a class of boats that I can't keep up with is disheartening but certainly provides the drive to improve.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Hi have 3 boats. One is for sale. One is for motoring, and one is for sail... .

We take a 16 ft motorboat to the lake with us. If the wind is blowing, we sail. If the wind is dead, we motor. Either way, we are out on the water all day, sailing, swimming, motoring, drifting, whatever. I love the water, not the dock. I have never owned a derelict boat, or I should say, I have never been a derelict owner. My boats are kept ready, and they get well used.
I also dream of having a cruiser here in Upstate NY for Summer and one in the South for Winter.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Three boats now. Capri 22 on the Hudson River, Capri 14.2 Expo in Florida West coast, and an old Hunter 23.5 sitting in the side yard collecting tree detritus for sale. No offers but scams.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I have a cabin on a lake about 1 hour away. If it isn't windy we wakesurf, if it's windy I sail my Laser during the summers. I have my Hunter slipped on Puget Sound about 30 minutes from me. Day trips, crummy summer weekend and winter trips on the sound. Nice weekend trips at the lake.