The tougher the driving, the better the cruising.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've never driven to Deer Isle. Like so many square miles of the coast of Maine, Deer Isle is off the 'beaten' path that runs inland from Acadia to Portland.

I know quite a bit of the coast and islands that ring big Deer Isle from sailing in Western Penobscot Bay.

I've probably been under the Deer Isle Bridge 10 times in 20 years of sailing in Penobscot Bay.

Cheeziss, the approach to that bridge is a fright. You swear it's a draw bridge - and it's going up. Photo's don't do it justice. With our highway budget, I was checking the nuts and bolts along the way.

Once safely on Deer Isle, you've still got a half and hour or so driving to Stonington, the far end of the island.

Traffic free but pothole speed regulated, the 80 mi drive to Stonington takes about 2 hours from our house.

Stonington can be reached (literally), under sail, threading your way through islands and thoroughfares, in as little as 5 hours, maybe less in good winds (or a faster boat).
But there's never been any desire to shorten that trip.

This spot, just a few miles off Stonington in the Merchant Islands, is 17NM from my house. You can't drive here.
Shivers anchored 7:18 pm.jpg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I've never driven to Deer Isle. Like so many square miles of the coast of Maine, Deer Isle is off the 'beaten' path that runs inland from Acadia to Portland.

I know quite a bit of the coast and islands that ring big Deer Isle from sailing in Western Penobscot Bay.

I've probably been under the Deer Isle Bridge 10 times in 20 years of sailing in Penobscot Bay.

Cheeziss, the approach to that bridge is a fright. You swear it's a draw bridge - and it's going up. Photo's don't do it justice. With our highway budget, I was checking the nuts and bolts along the way.

Once safely on Deer Isle, you've still got a half and hour or so driving to Stonington, the far end of the island.

Traffic free but pothole speed regulated, the 80 mi drive to Stonington takes about 2 hours from our house.

Stonington can be reached (literally), under sail, threading your way through islands and thoroughfares, in as little as 5 hours, maybe less in good winds (or a faster boat).
But there's never been any desire to shorten that trip.

This spot, just a few miles off Stonington in the Merchant Islands, is 17NM from my house. You can't drive here.
View attachment 163337
Beautiful shot Tom. One of the most beautiful sunsets we have ever seen was anchored in the little bight on the north side of McGlathery Island in the archipelago just south of Stonington.

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Nice pics Tom. Thanks for sharing. “Pothole Regulated” that’s funny. You guys are ready to go. I spent a few day this week doing varnish. Will haul out soon , paint the bottom and install a new depth transducer.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
So, Deer Island and Stonington, Me is a place I need to add to my bucket list.
Thanks for the post, Tom.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
So, Deer Island and Stonington, Me is a place I need to add to my bucket list.
Thanks for the post, Tom.

-Will (Dragonfly)
A perfect place for a trailer sailer, Will. There is one lone campsite on Shivers Island. I rowed over to it before dawn to take some shots of the sunrise.

The first boat came by at 5:10 am.
Shivers 5-10 am_.jpg

A few more a while later
View from the Shivers 5-13am (1 of 1).jpg

Then the sun popped over the eastern horizon.
View from the Shivers 5-44am (1 of 1).jpg

You still have dozens of islands and endless sailing within a few miles of the launch ramp in Stonington.

Feb 11, 2017
former Tartan 30 New London, CT area
I left some lead from my keel out there S of Stonington, love the area! Don't recall those 'wings' on the Deer Isle bridge - something new?