The things i do for my boat

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Bought some Glycerin based lubricant this AM for the water pump impeller.
In a pharmacy.
Guess what section of the shelves that is to be found in?

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Bought some Glycerin based lubricant this AM for the water pump impeller.
In a pharmacy.
Guess what section of the shelves that is to be found in?
Depends! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seriously, did you get the plain or sensual? :eek:

All U Get

Jul 13, 2010
Sensual of course! Nothing but the best for my baby!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I have heard of dish washing soap to prevent a dry start after installation but to use grease which will not dissolve in water and perhaps adhere to the inside of cooling passages promoting blockages I do not think it is a good idea. Check manufacturers recommendations.

Jul 13, 2010
job done now, before I saw this. The lubricant has the consistency of dish soap , flows freely, I think it will go out with the water. Thanks to all for suggestions, I hope a little humor helped on a cold winter day. Ralph, the only flavor today was "Aggravation"!!

Jul 13, 2010
Project is done, about 2 hours, not at all quick and easy.
The shift linkage clamp was different from the video and a real pita to get reassembled with the bottom unit pushed back up. I am also glad I photographed the old impellor as soon as it was revealed so I could remember how to bend the vanes.
Having to do that surprised me, I thought bent vanes just a result of wear, not fitting tightly in the cup. I ended up putting the impellor in the chrome cup (vanes bent around) then sliding the cup into the pump housing , then onto the shaft. Held the pin with needlenose pliers while I slid the impeller down home.
the most aggravation was getting the bottom back in and dealing with clamp that wanted to fall down into the bottom while I`m trying to get it over both rods and tightened down.
Did rope pull tests when assemble all appears ok, I`ll know for sure when it go`s in the water barrel in the backyard in March

Attachments

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Am I the only one who sometimes just goes to the boat and sits in the cockpit and feels - just good.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Am I the only one who sometimes just goes to the boat and sits in the cockpit and feels - just good.
You are NOT alone.:) Did that just a few hours ago, but sat down below - it was pouring but we need the rain out here. Got any extra for us?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
no you are not mine is on the hard and sometimes i just go to it and sit around and look over what i have done or just sit when i need to not think about anything ...cant wait to get her in the water and spend the night on her and sleep like a baby

Oct 1, 2011
Canadian Sailcraft 36T PCYC Toronto
I have heard of dish washing soap to prevent a dry start after installation but to use grease which will not dissolve in water and perhaps adhere to the inside of cooling passages promoting blockages I do not think it is a good idea. Check manufacturers recommendations.
Glycerin is best for this.

Oct 1, 2011
Canadian Sailcraft 36T PCYC Toronto
"The glycerin has two jobs, it makes the impeller slip into the housing and it also provides much needed lubrication for the 30 seconds or so until the cooling water starts to flow through the pump."
from Jamestown Distributors article.

Oct 20, 2011
Hunter 30 Green Bay
Try using silicone lube. You can get it at swimming pool stores, used for the "O" rings.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Glycerine

Yanmar has been including a small vial of glycerine in the package with new raw water impellers.