The Restoration of Not Yarrr's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2008
Lancer 27 Kemah
Arrrg! Nice to see a forum dedicated to Lancer owners! I have recently (4/19/08) purchased a 1983 Lancer 27' from a local seller in the Houston area. This is the first time I have owned a sailboat of my own. The vessel sure didn't look like much to an average person, but the price was right, and I knew this boat has potential. This thread will serve as a few things for me. First, I'll be able to track all of my restoration, and document it. What I did right, what I did wrong, and what I will never do again. Hopefully, someone can learn from it. Second, I try to be an entertaining writer whenever possible, so hopefully the reading community here will enjoy the thread. Third, advice and support from other Lancer owners. If I am doing something wrong, or you see something I could improve or do better, holler at me and let me know. I will no doubt be asking the community plenty of questions, so sound advice is always appreciated. Non-sound advice is appreciated as well, but to a lesser extent. Useless advice will be selected for a "wall of fame" reply once the restoration starts coming to an end :) OK, I will start this off with a picture from her port side. This is "Not Yarrr's" shortly after she was towed up from Galveston to Kemah.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I don't think that is a "hole"

If I recall, I have something similar to that in my Lancer. It is more like a slump collection point. I have a speed sensor wheel just to the starboard and aft of the mast step. When I take the plug out and put the wheel in its place, I collect a lot of water. It takes several sponge dips to get the water out. I doubt it goes into the keel it self. I'll be at the boat this weekend and can take some images of the same area so you can compare.

Feb 17, 2006
Well...

Those photos of the interior were take in '05. The interior still looks like that but the teak has faded a wee bit. I need to apply some teal oil again to get the luster back to par. The vinyl is not as white as the photos show, but not as yellow as yours. I am guessing that is from moisture over time. Maybe a mild bleach solution might help. I'd find a corner and experiment. Don't pull it all out until you have determined that there is no salvation. I mentioned before I have decals. I ordered a set but the guy gave me two sets. One is already on the boat (photo above). If your decals are faded like mine were, you should replace them. If you want my spare set, let me know.

Apr 29, 2008
Lancer 27 Kemah
Navigation and Binnacle

The compass and the binnacle. It looks like someone burned my compass from the bottom up. Imagine sticking it in an oven, setting it on broil for 15 minutes, and then blow-torching the side. It was probably just a cheap old plastic one. Maybe it got cooked from a short, frankly I do not know. I don't have a picture of it now, but I don't know how it should have originally looked. I have thought about putting in something nicer than a compass. Thinking about a depth/gps/fish-finder. As long as I can get depth and speed, I'll be fine. GPS would be a plus. Fish finder, well, hey, what else to do when you get bored? Thought it would be fun to go fishing with it as well. Also, all of my gauges installed on the lower bulkhead on the starboard side of the cockpit or dead/unserviceable. So, is the compass/binnacle necessary in the center cockpit area? If I were to replace it, could I mount something there? Seems like very little space in the aft of the boat, and I would end up sitting on the side of the cockpit and steering. I would still keep a compass, just in case. Always better to have a backup plan. I'll try to get some detailed pictures of all these areas of my boat, will post them as soon as I can.

Feb 17, 2006
You should bring up the question

Of the compass to the general community in Ask All Saliors. There is a wealth of knowledge over there.

Feb 17, 2006
Wow...

A lot of work for you. Panel switches. Don't think you are going to find OEM replacements so try and get any numbers off your switches and see if you can do a google. Try Mouser.com for electronics. They have a good source of parts. Maybe you can make your own panel. Its just metal painted black with holes. It doesn't have to say Lancer. Don't use West Marine unless you really have to. Try the Chandlery here, or Defender.com, or a few other places. Search on sailboat hardware and you'll find lots of sites. Masthead light might be the actual light that is not working. Had to replace my entire mount. It was all corroded. A 12' ladder will work just fine. Strap the ladder every other rung to the mast as you climb it. Go slow. Strap yourself to the mast above the spreaders. Work on the light. Just don't drop any tools and use a halyard as a safety line. I'm sure all your wiring might be suspect if the boat had that much water in the bowels. Won't hurt to do a bypass test with a couple of 6v lantern batteries in series. There should be enough juice to at least light up a bulb.

Feb 17, 2006
Then you must

have a true mast head light. Are your nav lights on the bow and white light on the stern rail? If not, then you probably did have a mast head light. The light I circled is a steaming light. Used for operating a sailboat under power. If you can, try and get a high res photo of the top of the mast. This way we can zoom in and really look what's up there.

Feb 17, 2006
I wonder what that ring is...

just above the head stay? When you have a chance, look either in the mast step and see if what kind of cables/wires you have there, or look on the mast support block on the keel. There should be some cables/wire coming out of there. My Lancer has one coax and a pair of wires. The coax for the antenna and the wires for my steaming light above the spreaders.

Apr 29, 2008
Lancer 27 Kemah
Worst case...

How hard is it to take down the mast while docked, and then raise it back up? May be easier, since I don't see a light up there at all... I know there are a couple wires running up from the base of the mast. I'm not 100%, but it was probably the wires running up for the light. Of course, there does not appear to be a lighting apparatus up there. Not sure exactly where/how the antenna is being run. I would imagine it would be that wire up on the mast, but I'll trace the full run back to the radio next time I am at the dock.

Apr 29, 2008
Lancer 27 Kemah
Plumbing

Any thoughts on the plumbing issues guys? Is there a better way to run the toilet/shower setup?

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Mast

I have dropped my L25 mast using a simple A-frame built out of 3/4 inch electrical conduit. Lancer has instructions on how to use the boom as a lever to drop the mast forward, but as this would have left most of the mast hanging overboard, I felt that forward was a safer option. Down was pretty easy. Up got a little complicated as the roller furler jammed between the step and a turning block at the base. I'd recommend having two friends rather than one, as I had, if only for the extra pair of eyes. Once you start the mast up, you don't want to stop. Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.