The Log of the Record Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I think that title is already taken for a poem or song about the Schooner Ernestina but I sure feel like I deserve to use it. 10 days from Beaufort, SC to Hampton, VA. 484 nautical miles, 557 land miles. Roughly $280 worth of diesel fuel. About half the cost of a plane ticket according to my alternate plan for attending these meetings. A lot more fun too.

I’ve asked at every fuel stop and I’m quite confident I get the tee shirt for first boat north this year. The looks I got from southbound boats were priceless. I also had to watch carefully when meeting them. The idea of a northbound boat was so far out of their minds, hunkered down in their total environmental isolation, full canvas outfits, squinting at the GPS, that there were almost a couple of collisions.

I love to move the boat, as you all know by now. This mad dash was a gas. There is also something about moving fast that lets you see the sweep of the landscape and geography. Oddly, it got steadily warmer as I proceeded north. That was a bit disorienting and I kept looking at the compass as a check on the GPS to see if maybe I had gotten turned around somewhere. 70 degrees today crossing Hampton Roads, I could have been in Maine in July.

The day finished up in grand style with a dawn departure from my anchorage inside marker G 53 where the North River narrows into the land cuts from Albemarle Sound. I saw nothing but a few ghostly glimpses of marker posts on the way across from Middle Ground Shoal the day before and today was more of the same.

I ran up Currituck Sound and North Landing River in 500-600 foot visibility. That’s no exaggeration. I set a GPS distance marker on several marker posts along the route and looked at the distance as soon as I could make them out. It was that thick all the way up to the land cuts.

This leg was done entirely by GPS. By the time I could see the markers, they were useful only as confirmation that I was on track and not as steering aids. I’m pleased to report that the Garmin charts are very accurate in this area. I could have done the whole route sitting in the warmth of my cabin watching the GPS with the autopilot remote in my hand. Nobody else would be crazy enough to be trying this so traffic wouldn’t be an issue. Besides, I had the radar going.

I got up to the new Gilmerton lift bridge and was held up for 45 minutes while they tried to raise it enough for me to get through. There were a bunch of puzzled looking fellows clustered around what looks like the slide for the lift span.

I think there is a good chance I was the first northbound sailboat through as it only opened to boat traffic on Friday. If anyone beat me to it, I’m sure they weren’t in Beaufort, SC 10 days ago.

I’ll be tying Strider up for about a week to attend meetings about things that I hope will let me put enough money in the bank to think about things like cruising to the Bahamas or beyond. I’ll be doing less cruising for the next few months but most liveaboard cruisers come to that time when they have to top up the money tank. Hopefully, it will lead to more interesting things to report on in the future than just going up and down the ICW.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
... 10 days from Beaufort, SC to Hampton, VA. 484 nautical miles, 557 land miles. Roughly $280 worth of diesel fuel. ...
Even pushing hard, that seems a bit pricey at $0.58 per mile. Have you calculated your fuel consumption rate (Gals/hr)?

Nov 22, 2008
. Have you calculated your fuel consumption rate (Gals/hr)?
I haven't rechecked since re-pitching the prop but it's about .8 gallons per hour. I use a gallon per hour for planning purposes. Most people go a lot slower but shortening days when you are alone is worth the cost. The engine also runs better closer to the top end.

The very careful sea trials I did two props ago when the boat was a lot lighter showed 8 miles per gallon at cruising speed. 484 / 8 = 60.5 gallons. $242 at an average price of $4.00 per gallon. You also have to add about a gallon a day for the cabin heater.

Later: I just went through my receipts and I purchased 68.38 gallons of diesel during this period.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Roger,
We used to get reimbursed for car mileage at a rate of 51 cents per mile plus the cost of the gasoline. So the same trip by car would have cost you $242 plus at 30MPG about 48 bucks of gas for a total of $290. So this proves that driving a sailboat is less expensive than driving a car. I guess we can throw out that old saying about a "hole in the water...." :>)

Nov 22, 2008
So this proves that driving a sailboat is less expensive than driving a car.
Not exactly. A lot of that $0.51 per mile for a car covers depreciation due to mileage and things like that. Those cost are a lot higher on a sailboat. OTOH, since I live aboard, my other costs, aside from the hours put on the engine, were not much higher. In fact, by moving so fast and not being tempted by restaurants in towns where I stopped, it was probably on of the cheaper 10 days of my trip aside from diesel consumption.

All in all though, it was a pretty economical way to get up here. And, I have a place to live.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Not exactly.
All in all though, it was a pretty economical way to get up here. And, I have a place to live.
I would, and do, compare it to driving a motor home which would be about 8 mpg. There's always a place to stay when you're done, less traffic jams, and I haven't had a flat yet. We're still behind you Roger.

All U Get

Nov 22, 2008
I would, and do, compare it to driving a motor home
I've used that comparison myself although I usually say, "motor home or big rig tractor trailer." When I preface it by saying that my engine is 20 hp, jaws drop.

This RV will be burning a lot less diesel in the next few weeks. Once I get settled in a marina, I'm going to be doing a lot of stuff ashore for a while. I still hope to get back up to Maine for some cruising this summer though.

Fuel consumption per hour, the usual marine standard, can be very misleading. When I did my oceanographic water sampling cruise, mostly under power, from Portland to Canada and back for UNH, I calculated the fuel consumption.

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/RVStrider.htm

This was a global warming related project so I was going to impress them with how much fuel had been saved by not doing the same trip in their 1200 hp research vessel (my design).

I was surprised to discover that I burned nearly 1/3 as much fuel as they would have with 60 times the horsepower because of how much faster the research vessel was.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
Roger how do you compare the Virginia Cut Route to that via the Dismal Swamp?

Nov 22, 2008
Roger how do you compare the Virginia Cut Route to that via the Dismal Swamp?
I've always gone down the swamp and back the other way. I prefer the Dismal Swamp. I would have returned that way this time but I planned a stop at Great Bridge which I ended up not making because of the weather forecast.

That winding run up North Landing River takes a lot more attention than just running down the straight line in the swamp.

Nov 22, 2008
Well did you ever get to your dentist?
I decided it could wait until next week. It turns out that the crown itself was the problem. It was a bit too high and food was getting caught under an edge where I couldn't floss it out so there was constant inflammation around the root. Once the crown was gone, my mouth began to feel better than it has in a long time. The tooth is delicate and needs repair but I'm able to eat carefully with it it's become less of a priority than getting up to DC to pursue these other things.

I was going to stop at Great Bridge but, when I got there, this horrible weather we're having was right on the horizon. I ended up just sliding into Hampton under the wire.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
What Tooth ??

I decided it could wait until next week. It turns out that the crown itself was the problem. It was a bit too high and food was getting caught under an edge where I couldn't floss it out so there was constant inflammation around the root. Once the crown was gone, my mouth began to feel better than it has in a long time. The tooth is delicate and needs repair but I'm able to eat carefully with it it's become less of a priority than getting up to DC to pursue these other things.

I was going to stop at Great Bridge but, when I got there, this horrible weather we're having was right on the horizon. I ended up just sliding into Hampton under the wire.
S .. U .. R .. E , Rodger ... ;)

(That's what they all say when they "chicken out" of going to the dentist...) :)

Don't worry folks, I've had Rodger's boat chained to the docks over in Hampton ... and won't give him the key, till he comes over and gets his tooth fixed ... :D

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
If you sneak up on him on the quiet of the night, and pitch the net over him, the immediate fight of the situation is over..

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Funny, I've got the same problem with a crown and the gum gets inflamed when I floss too aggressively and also if not flossed at all. My dentist wouldn't do anything about it last time I was there. I may have to find another dentist!

Status
Not open for further replies.