The importance of pre-race warmups

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Last weekend @cb32863 and I double handed BlueJ in 12-16 knots, gusting to 22. W/L 3 legs. Our WYC double-hand fleet starts last in our start sequence, right after our regular PHRF spin fleet. As we had lots of time, we scouted the racecourse in depth, and found the breeze was remarkably consistent, varying just a few degrees from the mean of 210. But WAY to the right, we found a shaft of stronger breeze that was also a knock. Created by a combination the day's wind bearing and long fetch between an island and a point, it extended all the way up past the mark.

Armed with the knowledge, we planned to win the boat and tack ASAP and head for the extra breeze. The PHRF boats (who started 3 minutes before) were still on starboard sailing in the median wind as we flopped over and beat at 5.8 knots to the right edge of the course. Soon we were in it, and took a 12 degree knock. We sailed knocked for a minute or so, until I estimated how much the lift would help us as we were still short of the layline. We flopped back, and sailed .7nm on starboard, taking the lift all the way up. Amazingly we nailed the mark, and rounded with the group of much faster PHRF 1 boats, and a Capri 25 that started SIX minutes in front of us. Every PHRF 1 boat that was close to our rating was minutes behind.

To top it off, we had a spin run down (we use our asym when double handing) at 8.0-8.5 knots to add even more distance.

Moral? ALWAYS get out early and sail upwind on the course. Find the mean, how far it swings, and how often. But also look for very localized conditions created by the interactions of land and water. While less useful on the open water, its is key for nearshore or lake racing.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
That was some of the funnest sailing we have done in a while and some of the most educational for my own program once we get going again. To apply all the teachings of the various seminars and see how well we nailed it, was awesome and something that I will keep in mind going forward. Now if only we had video of that spin run! Was so fast I barely remember it besides a set, a gybe, then a douse. And that I did most of the work..... ;)

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
You sound like Dr. Stuart Walker...though perhaps a bit lighter reading.:)

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
local conditions are a huge advantage, IF you take note (literally) for future reference. Debriefing each race and for the season are good ways to pull all that information together.

Well Done JD

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
How long would you think such a band of wind would likely last? Wondering if you were certain it would still be there when you got back to it?

Nov 8, 2010
How long would you think such a band of wind would likely last? Wondering if you were certain it would still be there when you got back to it?
Good question. I was fairly certain that if the underlying conditions that created the wind band didn’t change, it would still be there. those conditions were the wind speed and the wind bearing. I was also going to assume that the geological/topographical conditions were not going to change either! :)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Every spring, WYC does a seminar series on racing topics. I often do my current tactical compass talk. One of the best attended is the 'wind on minnetonka' seminar, hosted by local coach Gordie Bowers. I say local because he lives and sails here, but he was the head US Olympic coach in 1992, when we won 9 medals. Beyond a great overview on the effect of wind on sailing, he has a custom chart for every wind direction, and the likely effects. Here is the one that that day's SW breeze.

2020-09-09.png

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Land effects are much more a part of strategy in the racing around Robins Island in our area than oscillating shifts. Since when the sea breeze comes in it is pretty solid. Local sailors pretty much know about the land effects especially if they've been around 30 + years. "Wickam Blast" was one that we would see in a N/NW cold front condition. It was named such because it came to the water over farmer Wickam's fields, a kinda low area to the N/NW of the finishing area. Add current, which is also geographically influenced and sailing there is endlessly interesting. But unfortunately local sailors don't develop the same wind shift skills as some other venues.

Nov 8, 2010
That was some of the funnest sailing we have done in a while and some of the most educational for my own program once we get going again. To apply all the teachings of the various seminars and see how well we nailed it, was awesome and something that I will keep in mind going forward. Now if only we had video of that spin run! Was so fast I barely remember it besides a set, a gybe, then a douse. And that I did most of the work..... ;)
Indeed. Normally I like to say I want to get 80% of the calls right; 100% of the easy ones and more than half of the hard ones. On a day you nail 100% of them, pretty magical!

Yea I'm kinda bummed we didn't start a GoPro. The boat was like a train upwind, and that smoking asym run the the gate was a hoot.

One other thing... mark positions! Before we left the dock I tuned the jib halyard and jib car to the marked/numbered med-heavy locations, and the sail had the PERFECT twist in it.

Nov 8, 2010
Land effects are much more a part of strategy in the racing around Robins Island in our area than oscillating shifts. Since when the sea breeze comes in it is pretty solid. Local sailors pretty much know about the land effects especially if they've been around 30 + years. "Wickam Blast" was one that we would see in a N/NW cold front condition. It was named such because it came to the water over farmer Wickam's fields, a kinda low area to the N/NW of the finishing area. Add current, which is also geographically influenced and sailing there is endlessly interesting. But unfortunately local sailors don't develop the same wind shift skills as some other venues.
For sure. In places where there is good seabreeze, there is usually no oscillations, and the breeze is even across the course. Often it becomes more a question of TIMING... when is it going to on, or go away. And whats going to replace it.

Last edited: