The First Time Ever I saw Its Face

• Thread starter John Finch (Doxology, C30 #6195)
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Finch (Doxology, C30 #6195)

The day was waning into sunset, the wind had laid, and the only ripples on the water were from the fish and other water-life feeding on the insects at the surface. Although the water temperature was 83 degrees Fahrenheit , the air was headed for the mid fifties--a large contrast, and a new record low for Northern Missouri on July 10. I was trying to psych myself into swimming ashore with Bogie, our small Beagle, before dark. Mickie, My wife and co-captain, was expressing concern for the water creatures that were feeding at that time, and didn't want us to go into the water. "John!!!! there's a snake in here," she yelled, while demonstrating her best restraint--She did not hit her high C, at 120 db. However, before I saw the little creature, she had Bogie in her arms and was on the coach roof, yelling, "Get - it - out - of - here." Sure enough, there it was with its little head sticking out of one of the scuppers. Yes, it was small, but to Mickie, it might as well have been the Creature from the Black Lagoon. I just happened to have a screwdriver in my hand. I advanced toward the frightened Sea (fresh water) Monster with the handle first, causing him to retreat to the rear. No matter how I tried, I could not convince Mickie that I had never experienced such a scenario in the 25 years I have been sailing. If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't believe it. I poured water down the scupper to check for his departure, and heard the water falling into the lake-water, but couldn't see it coming from any through-hull fitting on the transom. Hmmm...? Well, the scuppers go straight through and exit under the overhang right where the rudder swings past. The rudder was lined up with the through-hull, giving the perfect launching pad for the snake's entry into the conduit to the cockpit. As we sat discussing the incident, something on shore made a terrible sound. I remember hearing a similar sound as a child and having it explained as a snake swallowing a frog. Bogie didn't get to go ashore that evening, but to my surprise, after the talking was over, we all had a good night's sleep--maybe it was just exhaustion. You can bet that the next morning, as I swam Bogie ashore, there was some design work going through my brain for scupper screens. Once more, Mickie proves she is a trooper when it comes to our boat, she is already planning to be there again next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.