The Electric Windlass Finally Gets Installed..H37C

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron Pearson

Well folks. For those of you with extremely good memories, you'll remember when I bought an elec. windlass last year for $350.00 I finally installed it yesterday! I mounted the windlass behind the staysail stay with the gypsy in line with the center of the boat. It went on beautifully. Three holes were drilled into the deck and plywood was used to re-enforce the deck from underneath. Wires from the windlass, which come down through the ceiling (one of the three holes) of the V-berth, are routed into the forward cabinet space and then down the port side of the hull finally reaching the electrical beaker panal. The wire were secured to the underside of the deck bolts with small plastic wire ties. In all, only four inches of wiring is visible. Because the distance from the bow rollers to the windlass is somewhat longer than normal the slight angle between the port and starboard roller to the windlass is nil. The entire installation took about three hours (it was hot and I'm slow). The cold beer of sailboating was when I stepped on that little foot switch and watched that baby crank away...Ron

E

Ed Schenck

Pictures?

Will there be pictures Ron? I assume it is mounted behind the opening port that is under the boom. How did you get clearance beneath the staysail boom? What is the battery draw to pull in 100 feet of rode? What is your rode?

J

Jim Oursler

Windlass for $350? which one?

After this weekend, I want one too. Have a Hunter 34 with 10 feet chain and 25 pound plow anchor, anchoring inland lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.