The bilge is not the lowest point on my 373... any suggestions to sort it out?

Nov 17, 2022
Beneteau 373 St Pete Beach
Below is a diagram of the structural beams running both laterally and transversely across floor of a Beneteau 373. Well 4 is the bilge and it is not the lowest point on the boat. The transverse sills between wells 2 and 3 (highlighted in red) have water accumulation and this the lowest point on the boat. Aside from pumping it out with a shop vac does anyone have anything other suggestions to keeping this dry?
Leaks.JPG

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
I had the same lower point in my bilge. What I did was to drill a 3/8 inch hole in the center of the inner hull ( in your case the red color) and epoxy a stainless steel pipe with grooves on the end going to the lowest point in the hull cavity and flush with the top. I then use a 1/8 inch hose inserted into the tube to extract the water with a small pump. I use a rubber plug inserted into the pipe when not in use. My bilge is extremely dry so the accumulation is over months of condensation that collects in that hidden bilge. No more in my case.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Does your boat have limber holes? Why can't you put a bilge pump in that area. You do know there are bilge pumps that operate from a remote location, so only a hose can be led into an area where a Rule type pump won't fit?
As for a dripless shaft, a lot of us are against any system aboard that can't be jury rigged or repaired without a haul out.

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
The boat does have limber holes but are located under the sole at opposite ends at a distance where it’s hard to insert a small hose and if I did not sure the small hose is pointed up or down. The small pump is not permanent and only used when I need to drain the water in the cavity. Main bilge pump stays put in the bilge but it never does any draining since the bilge is so dry. I have to test it by pulling up the float switch to insure it’s working.

Nov 17, 2022
Beneteau 373 St Pete Beach
The stuffing box is dry. The water is coming in with the rain at the midship stanchions and perhaps elsewhere. Yes, there are limber holes on both sides of the transverse sills. This is where the water is accumulating. A Rule type of pump won't fit there.
I was thinking about getting an aquarium pump and pumping out into the sink but I would be doing this every time it rains ...or I fix the stanchions - Ha!
I will have a look at the remote bilge pumps, thanks

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
How about a dripless shaft seal? Dry bilges are great:
The 373 should have a Volvo "dripless" shaft seal that was factory installed. Might be condensate from air conditioner or any number of potential leak sources. Really need to re-bed those stanchions.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Most boats have multiple gallons of water trapped under the sole by the hull stringers. The usual sources of that water is Boat washes, rain leaks, wet bathing suits, galley spills, fridge drains, plumbing leaks, condensation and sea spray. Water trapped for long gets fouled by bacteria and it stinks. Opening up the undersole may lead to inviting these smells into the cabin. Some of that trapped water gets dislodged when the boat moves and heels and it can relocate in those compartments you are looking at. Adding talcum powder in the areas under the stanchions can point to actual rain leak sources. Topside rain leaks can travel from the intrusion point to where they eventually pool.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I had the same lower point in my bilge. What I did was to drill a 3/8 inch hole in the center of the inner hull ( in your case the red color) and epoxy a stainless steel pipe with grooves on the end going to the lowest point in the hull cavity and flush with the top. I then use a 1/8 inch hose inserted into the tube to extract the water with a small pump. I use a rubber plug inserted into the pipe when not in use. My bilge is extremely dry so the accumulation is over months of condensation that collects in that hidden bilge. No more in my case.
If it is such a small amount, have you considered a large absorbent pad, the type owners use to soak up peripheral oil in the engine compartment. Change it out every few months. Or is it more than that? If so, then a small capacity pump, manually operated, rather than a bulky float switch might work.