The Best Laid Plans....

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Long time readers of this running account know well how easy it is for me to talk myself into rushing up and down the coast, burning quantities of diesel fuel, and watching the shore go by thinking, That looks like a nice place to stop some time.] It probably has something to do with a professional life spent with working boats that have places to go and things to do. I do like the purposeful feel of covering ground. I even wrote about it early in my cruising on Strider for a print magazine.

http://www.cruisingonstrider.us/images/LongDays.pdf

(Cruise track and pictures of that cruise here: http://home.roadrunner.com/~bmssez/07JuneCruise.htm)

One of Dreameagle’s purposes in my life is to get me to slow down and smell the roses, something she has achieved admirably. How ironic, therefore, that she has become the cause of yet another conversion from cruising to delivery mode.

She left Monday from Hampton to go home for a week to take care of some things that needed attending there. We then planned to spend a month drifting around the bay visiting friends and several of her family members. Enter the fickle finger of fate.

A year ago, before she knew she was going to fall in love with a sailor and cruising, she made one of those professional commitments to do something “if it happens”. It didn’t happen last time and seemed even less likely this year. At the last minute, they pulled it together and she now has to be in New York two days a week until the end of May.

Meanwhile, my globe traveling son who I have not seen since his months in Russia, including visits to the barricades in Kiev, Ukraine will be in New England for a couple weeks in mid May. So, I am now doing what I guess I like best deep in my heart, heading for the Hudson River as fast as hull speed, logistics, and weather permit.

It looks like Solomons today where I need to do an oil change. Two or three days should then get me to the head of the bay where the waiting game for a weather pattern conducive to the Delaware Bay / New Jersey run begins.

Got to go start emailing to see if I can line up some crew crazy enough to do the offshore run to the Big Apple in April.

May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
roger, let me know your plans. could come there and then get dropped off at my apartment

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
From the sound of things I suspect you'll wake up in Portland & wonder how you got there :)