The Bahamas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuck

I am going to be relocating back to fla next year sometime and am in the process of restoring my O'Day 23, which has a pop top cabin on it. I have read a few things about cruising over the Gulf Stream on something that small. Now I'm concerned about the size of my boat..Do I drop the renovation and buy a bigger boat or do I just make dang sure she is seaworthy to handle the Stream? Obviously I'm making sure it will be safe and seaworthy before going out on the ocean. I'll probably be relocating to Cape Canaveral or a lil farther south. I'm open to all suggestions. My intent is to head ovr there for long weekends and possibly for a 2 to 3 month stint. I thank everyone in advance for any help they may be able to give me in making this decision. Thanks Chuck

S

scott

weather window

From that part of Fla. the hop to the Bahamas is not too bad. If your boat is sound and your judgment is equally sound you should have no problems. The weather is the key, if the wind is from any north quadrant than sit for a couple days. The Gulf Stream is an mean piece of water with a north wind. Depending on where you depart from, Cape Canaveral, Palm Beach, Ft. Laurderdale or Miami, the distance is fairly minimal.

P

Peter C.

Go For It!

I've sailed to the Bahamas many times from So. Florida. Always see smaller sailboats in the 20'-25' range in from the U.S. No problem if you watch the weather. From the Cape Canaveral/Melbourne area you'd probably want to sail well south along the Florida coastline before heading across to compensate for the Gulfstream current. Sometimes not enough wind to sail across in the summer months. You'll want to have a reliable engine to get there!

J

JP

The Bahamas? Yes

Get the boat ready and go. My wife and I just came back from a nearly four month cruise to the Bahamas which included: the Biminis, Berries, Nassau, Exumas, Long Island(not NY) and the Abacos. Our favorite, the Exumas are beautiful and unspoiled. The key to crossing the stream is weather. Never ever cross while a northerly prevails. I will be happy to help you as to which charts, anchorages, guides etc to use. Go sailing is good for you. JP

B

Bob Graham

Bahamas

You will need to go south at least to Palm Beach to cross over or you will be bucking the current the whole way. We did the trip on our h33 in June this year traveling the 25 miles south to Palm Beach and then crossing the next morning. Wind was out of the SE, so with the current correction there was no sailing over. The 59 nm crossing took about 10 hours. The return trip was direct from West End to Stuart with the help of the gulf stream current we saw 9 knots of speed on the gps! Good luck, but that long weekend from Canaveral is out of the question.

T

Tom Carr

Are they Crazy ???

Icrossed on a 40ft Endever . !9Tons Big boat strong boat . Remember they didn't even get the O'Day correct . Taking such a small boat would be playing with your life . You'd need lots of fuel and several watch standers . Go for the larger boat . 23 ft is a daysailer !

S

scott

size??

Big boats don't make a safe sailor out of you, commen sense does. I've seen the results of large boats washing up on the reefs of the Bahamas and Fowey Rocks due to weather, gear failure, captain/crew error, etc, etc. We can't all afford a big boat so we must make due with what we have. Life is short, go out and live it every day. I'll get off my soap box now.....

L

lnranch

Seaworthy Not Size

The important thing on any offshore trip is a seaworthy boat. When the going gets rough I am not sure if a aircraft carrier would be large enough. One problem with small boats is range under power. No wind and a long distance can be a real problem. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.