That time of year again !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Were all anxious to get our boats back on the water again, but have you looked over your trailer lately ? I pulled my Hunter 170 out of my car port to prep it for this season, I was shocked to discover that my one year old boat / trailer wheel bearings were shot on the one side. I remooved both wheels and cleaned and replace the inner and outer bearings. I also bought "bearing Buddies" and packeted them with Marine Grease.. I ordered a spare "hub" with a complete bearing set, $50. cheap investment for towing. I also put the tools,jack and marine grease in my travel kit, just incase I have to replace a wheel bearing while towing, Now I have a comple spare hub to replace it with. Tires, lights okay, Oh yea,.........the REGISTRATION TAGS FOR THE BOAT AND TRAILER !!! I'm all set... Glenn

M

Mike

bearing buddies

Glenn, You're in California, I thought you could sail year round?! I'm doing the same thing for my trailer (new tires), replaced the bearings last year when one blew out. My neighbor who is mechanically inclined advised me with bearing buddies that you only want to pack them half full of marine grease, if they are full they will actually burn out the bearings (that is why he advised against them because when you use a lube gun to fill them you don't know how full you are getting them). So, I opted for the one dollar bearing cap cover that I can take off/on/replace as often as I want to check those messy things.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Buddy Bearings

IMHO, buddy bearings do okay if they are used properly and the directions are followed re putting extra grease in them. I've used them for years without a problem in both fresh and salt water.

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Year round sailing..............

California offers some good year round sailing however,.......we have had an unusual amount of rain this year, 2nd highest rainfall recorded in 100 years !......I"m also becoming more of a wooose the older I get. if its below 75 degrees I'm cold.........if its above 85 degrees I'm hot. I got my hubs fitted with the bearing buddies and all packed with marine grease, see what happens over the next few months. If they don't work out I will switch back to a cheap cap and check them more frequently I was told when I replaced the bearings that they were made in China ! the ones the parts dealer was selling me (which I bought) were made in Japan ! he told me that the Japan Bearings are the best !........WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MADE IN AMERICA BEARINGS ? Oh well.........use what you can get I guess. I get the feeling this is going to be a pain in the neck to stay on top of. ARE THERE ANY WATER TIGHT BEARINGS ON THE MARKET THAT WOULD WORK ON TRAILERS ? This Saturday I'm mounting my "boom Kicker" Glenn

B

Bob B.

Relax, not to worry!!

Chinese, Japanese, American bearings are all the same quality. This might be hard to accept. When using Bearing Buddys, pack your wheel bearing hubs full of grease & then completely fill with a grease gun. Pump up again with a grease gun before launching. Excess grease will ooze out the front through a pressure relief hole & the bearing hub will be slightly pressurized. I've been doing this forever with no problem & have not repacked the bearings for 13 years. I use a light grease (Lubriplate) just because I use it for just about everything. The same manufacturer supplies a "Bearing Bra". A vinyl cover which prevents excess grease from oozing while towing. Just make sure the bearings are not preloaded. You are probably not travelling 80 mph while towing. Regards Bob B.

Status
Not open for further replies.