Thanksgiving Aboard?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Happy Thanksgiving.

We've several times gone to Catalina for Thanksgiving where the single restaurant puts on a pretty good spread. You can buy a full turkey and all the fixings for your group.

One year in Cat harbor I split a turkey and cooked it on our rectangular Magma grill. A tight fit. It came out great but all the drippings were a mess to clean up and no way to make gravy. Wouldn't do it again.

Gale warning this year so staying home for Turkey day. Maybe go over Saturday.

Stay safe if you are going to celebrate in a group!
Hey, Richard! I am writing this from Cat Harbor, where I spent my Thanksgiving in quarantine! I got exposed to someone with COVID last Wednesday (my mechanic), and my wife and I both have highly at risk dads whom we can't risk exposing. (And we don't want to give it to each other, either.) So in thinking about the best way for me to quarantine, she suggested my staying on the boat, which seemed good to me. But staying tied to the dock for two weeks would drive me stir crazy, so I decided to make a 14-day Catalina trip out of it! I therefore hastily raided our home fridge and freezer, threw some clothes into a duffle bag, and headed down to the boat last Wednesday. leaving for the Isthmus the next day. Due to the forthcoming gale (assuming it materializes), I decided to move around to Cat on the backside yesterday, where I'm all nice and secure. Let it blow!

Anyway, my wife and I will do a proper Thanksgiving after I get back. But for today I had tacos and beer--no turkey for me this time!

What's nice is that I can totally isolate from everyone but still enjoy being in a beautiful environment. They assigned me the mooring on the VHF and I paid by phone. I've been able to row ashore and avoid the few people who were there earlier and go hiking around all by myself. Cat Harbor is now packed with boats so I'll just stay aboard until the crowd thins out in a few days and I can go ashore without encountering anyone up close. When I do I take along a mask, just in case. I should say that I'm doing just fine with zero symptoms of any kind. Plus, I'm able to teach all of my online classes from the boat, so that's working out great. I should also be caught up on my grading when this is all over. My plan is to head back next Thursday, weather permitting.

Other than the coming NE system, which remains to be seen, the weather here has been quite nice since last Thursday. Some days had morning fog or clouds, but it has burned off and been sunny with pleasant temps. Lots of amps from my solar panel! By the way: by about 3 pm today, Cat Harbor was completely full. No moorings available in any size. People were still streaming in and being told they had to anchor out. The front side of the Island is completely closed off; they are not renting out any moorings because of the NE weather.

P.S. My wife just texted and said it's been blowing on the mainland, but it hasn't shown up here yet.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A self-quarantine in Cat Harbor on the boat is a good idea unless you actually come down with debilitating symptoms.:huh: Pray not! It’s a long way to the ER in Avalon, especially with the off-shore wind and accompanying seas, not to mention to Long Beach! Good that you are on a can! Yes. It’s windy here.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
A self-quarantine in Cat Harbor on the boat is a good idea unless you actually come down with debilitating symptoms.:huh: Pray not. It’s a long way to the ER in Avalon, not to mention to Long Beach! Good that you are on a can. It’s windy here.
Yes, I considered that aspect of it. And it is definitely a certain amount of risk. I had not originally planned on being in Cat at all, but the weather had other ideas!

Anyway, so far so good. Feeling fine!

8:00 pm update: The wind just now suddenly showed up. Oh, my! It's starting to howl through here! But Cat Harbor is a lovely place to be in weather like this.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
8:00 pm update: The wind just now suddenly showed up. Oh, my! It's starting to howl through here! But Cat Harbor is a lovely place to be in weather like this.
NDBC Station #46025 (Santa Monica Basin) is reporting 21.4, gusts to 29.1, kt. Recording plot shows it hitting a few minutes past 00 GMT, 2000 PST, as you reported!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
"8:00 pm update: The wind just now suddenly showed up. Oh, my! It's starting to howl through here! But Cat Harbor is a lovely place to be in weather like this."
We have a mooring in Cat. There have been a couple of instances over the last two decades when I dropped a hook to share some of the load is very big winds. I once, following a storm, saw a 40-ish sailboat bring up his danforth. It looked like a wine cork screw. It's been blowing hard at our house in the San Bernardino mountains for the last 24 hours.