Thanks to a fellow forum member !

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I wanted to take a moment to thank Tim R. for graciously putting up with my sorry butt all summer long. Surprisingly Tim & his wife were nice enough to allow me back on board this year for the local PHRF racing series. It is a pleasure to sail with Tim and his wife and especially fun to help them win the summer series.

Like all good seasons they do come to an end.:cry: Last Friday Tim invited me out for the last sail of the season. The winds were light but the air was crisp, well.. okay, the wrinkles in the sails are because they were frozen, but it was still a beautiful day.

There are many great folks on this forum and if you've not yet had a chance to meet some of them in person it might be fun..

Some shots from the last sail of the season:

P.S. I'm just glad we didn't go today it's blowing like stink and has not even really started! There are one or two boats still in the water and I presume by morning they may be on the hard..:cry:

FROM NOAA:

TODAY
SE WINDS 20 TO 35 KT...INCREASING TO 35 TO 45 KT WITH
GUSTS 55 TO 60 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT...BUILDING TO 8 TO 14 FT THIS
AFTERNOON. RAIN. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

TONIGHT
SE WINDS 30 TO 45 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 65 KT...BECOMING
S 20 TO 30 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 10 TO 16
FT. RAIN IN THE EVENING...THEN SHOWERS AND OCCASIONAL SNOW SHOWERS
AFTER MIDNIGHT. VSBY 1 TO 3 NM.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Today
LO:48/HI:64F
Max 7 N
WEDNESDAY:
LO:47/HI:67F
Max 6 SE
THURSDAY:
LO:59/HI:73F
Max 8 S
FRIDAY:
LO:54/HI:67F
Max 10 NW

The Ponchartrain is fine right now.. but family obligations call.
Yall have a good Thanksgiving, MainSail !!!

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Thanks Maine Sail

That last sail is always a heart breaker. Great photos, sure wish I was up there to sail Casco Bay again - maybe in the next couple of years.

HOW has been a great source of friends and information.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Wow wave heights off Portland are already about 14 feet! A fourteen footer, crest to crest, every 6.5 to 8 seconds is not much fun..

Wind Direction (WDIR):ESE ( 110 deg true ) Wind Speed (WSPD): 33.0 kts Wind Gust (GST): 40.8 kts Wave Height (WVHT): 13.8 ft Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 8 sec Average Period (APD): 6.5 sec Mean Wave Direction (MWD): SE ( 140 deg true ) Atmospheric Pressure (PRES):29.94 in Pressure Tendency (PTDY):-0.05 in ( Falling ) Air Temperature (ATMP): 45.1 °F Water Temperature (WTMP): 46.6 °F Dew Point (DEWP): 41.4 °F Wind Chill (CHILL): 34.3 °F

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
Question: are all the boats in Maine drop-dead gorgeous?
Yes!

We can only sail 1 month of the year due to winter. The rest of the time they are in heated storage. :Liar:

Tim is O.K.... His wife is better looking though.:dance:

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Don't let Maine Sail fool you. He is the one who figured out how to trim my old main to make it help us win those races. There is an opening(right on the companionway steps) for him next season.

Damn! Only 2 sets of spreaders. Still not a "yacht";)

Yes, all boats in Maine are beautiful and my wife is much better looking than me!

Cordelia was hauled yesterday and came home today. She is tucked away in the yard for her winter snooze. Next sailing is in the BVIs in March. Only 3 1/2 months away:D

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Sorry

I'm truly sorry for you guys up on the frozen tundra. Not being to sail pretty well year round has to be a true bummer. And Mainesail is absolutely correct. There are some truly wonderful people on this board.

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
Eventually someone is going to catch on that NE is a sailing paradise.... People talk about how good it looks.. and you can "poor mouth" about the snow... Been my theory that that's why it snows in winter... Keeps all the Texans and Florida folk from coming up and grabbing all the good moorings..

--jr

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
C'mon guys and. . .

gals, we have been through this north versus south thing too many times. The truth is your logs down there won't have any more entries than mine(when I was on Lake Erie). It's always something: too hot or too many mosquitos or too windy(hurricanes). Now, since I am on my way to Florida with the boat, I will be able to prove it.

I will grant you though that it must be nice to have the option. When you get the right day the boat is ready. Up here we get lots of nice days in December through March. But the water is generally kind of hard and the boat is snowed in. And sometimes Lake Erie gets too much for my H37C. :)

Attachments

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
Well....

the 37C has a really, really tough hull...

have you considered Ice Breaking??

Might be a stretch for you to claim it is so... but...

--jr

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
here's what's wrong, Jim

you folks up in the tundra never get to participate in a lighted boat parade.
nor will you enjoy Christmas aboard on the hook
and you have no idea how many pounds of turkey fit into the galley's oven
and you probably think that Easter eggs are only found on land.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
on the other hand...

...some of us don't even know how to spell "winterize"

nor do we understand the excitement of an early spring launch.

Jun 1, 2005
Pearson 303 Robinhood, ME
Re: on the other hand...

Have to agree with Maine Sail. I couldn't get Tim to bite on my last post!

Both Tim and Kathy are great people. I met Tim on this forum... and had a few questions regarding some issues I may or may not of had with my new boat (84 Pearson).

Tim and his wife drove up to discuss my concerns... however ended up having dinner with my whole extended family. I haven't seen him since!

Kathy is just as gung-ho as Tim when it comes to sailing and working on the boat. If Tim is tearing something apart, the good looking half is right down there too tackling another project.

Tim is very unselfish when it comes to sharing his time and energy. He is a great addition to this forum!

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Rich, you are too kind. If I recall correctly, Kathy and I ate plenty of your food and drank your beer and had a great time with your family.

And for the record, you had(still have) an open invitation for wed. night racing in Portland. And if you ever decide to leave the mooring, we can meet up at Snow I. some weekend. Maine Sail makes a killer Guacamole!