Thanks for reply; new questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian Steffy

I want to extend my thanks to those of you who replied to my previous question, and I want to apologize for ignorantly calling the larger Oceanis' a 'clysdale' - the term was meant as a compliment, as in the sport of Ironman Triathlon the 'clysdale' (sp.?) division is reserved for people typically 6.4 or taller; people who typically pass me. I am signed up to do ASA 101-103 and I plan to join a club that will allow me to practce on 23' sailboats for a few months.I am also looking to work as 'grunt-crew' for a week or two this summer (any takers?).I have been to a few yards and I have visited every forum and brokerage site that I can find. New question: given that I am in my mid-50's (I am retiring from triathlons and am seeking a new type of adventure - this one a bit more aesthetic), my inkling is to go for the boat size that I want NOW - no working up the ladder, so to speak. I prefer a fast, stable boat. Most of my sailing will be single-handed ( no work commiments May-Aug.), though I will probably cruise with my spouse and 16 yr. old about twice per month. I plan to rent a moor (not a slip) in the calm(er) airs of the upper Chesapeke. I am looking for a boat in the 34-38' range, though would go up to 42' if it seemed rational. I am more physically fit than the college kids I teach. I would like to stay under 65K. I am therefore looking at 1980s Beneteaus. I have read about the 1985 blister problem, but I have also read that some early 80s (i.e., 42)Beneteaus were particularly strong boats (as I have read the 70s Hunter 37' cutter is). 34-35' racers (boats that are being retired as racers) are going for a good (low) price, but they seem to need some modification to comfortably handle 4 people for a weekend cruise. Also, I am assuming that if I want to get the best deal, I should be patient and buy when the seller is worrying about winter storage. I confess that I am also looking at 1970-early 80s C&C's, Tartans, Cape Dory's (true, not a racer), and Bristols - many 33-36' in my price range. Any thoughts? Can anyone recommend a broker in the Annapolis area?

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Older boat

Brian, have you tried on this website for Beneteau listings? I use Yachtworld a lot. As a surveryor I find that it gives me a lot of boats to go thorugh when I am looking for a fair market value. In regards to your question since you intend to single hand a lot I would stay in the 34-38' range. The 351's are nice boats and can certainly accomadatethe crew that you are talking about quite comfortably. I do a lot of Beneteau's and really haven't found one that I would say was structurally bad. When you find one uyou are really interested in get a GOOd surveyor to go over the boat with you before you purchase it. Charlie Gruetzner

H

Hans Kastensmith

Used Beneteau

Brian, We purchased a used 2000 Beneteau 50 last year from Annapolis Yacht Sales. Dan Nardo was the agent and was extreamly helpful in choosing a boat that was in good condition. He work with us to get the right price from the owner. We found a great boat at a decent price. I would highly recommend him. As far as the other boats you are looking at...if you like speed Beneteau is the right choice. Besides the fact you will get a much younger boat for the same price, you will get the proformance you are looking for. No matter what used boat you buy you need to know that a lot of initial work will need to be done to bring her up to your personal specs. Beware that boats that have been for sale for a while and have been on the hard for an extended period of time will require more fixes. It is far better to find a boat that has been sailed and cared for right up to the time you purchase her. Nothing eats a boat up more than sitting on the hard for a couple of years. Just my two cents...... Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.