Thank goodness I found y’all

Jun 5, 2023
Catalina Capri 22 (CP-22) Clear Lake
I was ecstatic The other day when I purchased my 1985 CP22… but not as ecstatic as I am now that I’ve found this form.

I need help, like 38 year old sailboat help. I don’t have any one thing in particular… as this is my first sailboat, I’m discovering multiple things that need addresses every day. I’ll drop a brief list of my major concerns/questions below, in case anyone sees one they’d like to comment on, it’d be much appreciated.

-Boat needs all new running rigging. I’ve found the CP22 downloads thread that shows the line sizes for various items. Will the downloads there still be applicable for a 1985?

-I have a roller furler, but I’m unable to find any insignia on it. The base looks very similar to the image found in the downloads thread, but mine uses a track. The forward side of the track has a car that travels up the length to hoist the sail, the aft side of the track is where the luff rides up the track. I’ll get a pic next time I’m at the marina. The track has some wavy spots in it (assuming from a reefed head sail in high winds?) which makes it very hard to pull the car up. We had to put the halyard on a winch to get it past a couple of the wavy parts of the track. Looking for a replacement track if I can identify the brand and model.

- I have no topping lift… should I have a topping lift? I feel like I should have a topping lift.

- Anyone have a picture of how their boom attaches to the mast? I believe I have the racing package (2 hooks, I think for reefing). The gooseneck I guess it’s called, slides down into the track, but what holds it there? No room above the gooseneck in the slot for a thumb screw. Anyone have a picture of theirs?

So much cleaning to do. What have I done?

- Eric

Jul 18, 2013
Re: "What have I done?" - You have purchased a hole in the water into which you throw money (welcome to the "lifestyle").

I have no topping lift, except a tail from the backstay with a clip on it, used when the mainsail is stored undercover.

Your furler sounds like mine, the original that came with the boat ... CDI FF2. Maybe try a heat gun or just sunshine and manipulation to straighten out the foil. I install and remove my headsail into the foil when the mast is horizontal so I can work it easily, and I don't actively use that tiny 'halyard.'

I definitely have a set-screw/slug in the mast track to keep the gooseneck in place. I buy several at a time...

Jun 5, 2023
Thanks for the reply Bill,

At least this is a fun hole in the water I suppose.

My boom is currently clipped to the backstay as well, so I guess that will work.

I’ll take a whack at straightening the foil. Once I get that thing fixed, I plan to leave that sail up for the rest of its life (maybe another year).

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
My boom is currently clipped to the backstay as well, so I guess that will work.
Not an uncommon arrangement, but make sure you unclip it before raising the main. If you forget to do that on a windy day the main could fill with wind, healing the boat over and making it very hard to unclip.

Jun 5, 2023
Your furler sounds like mine, the original that came with the boat ... CDI FF2.
So I checked out the CDI website, and it’s definitely a CDI, but I believe I have the FF6 as it has the car that travels up/down the luff on the side opposite the sail. Or perhaps a very old version… The hole in the can that the furling line passes through is only about Ø1”.
In any case, I’m pretty sure it isn’t rigged correctly. The head of the sail is currently tied to the car, and I do not see any external halyard to attach the sail to. I might have to bite the bullet and drop the whole assembly to see what’s going on.
I’m 6’2”, 220lbs and I have no desire to try and climb the mast. Hopefully it all slides off the bottom of the forestay.

Jul 18, 2013
When my jib is on the furler, the jib halyard (which exits the mast just under the forestay) is unused and free to hoist pirate flags. If it were attached to the sail, it would twist around the forestay every time the sail was furled. The furler gear (small cord and traveler/car) keeps the sail up. With the little traveling car it seems that maybe one could swap the 150%/135% for a 110% on the fly (new sail up one slot and current sail down the other slot), but the drag in the (my) system is too much too much and the downhaul at the tack is too cumbersome to consider that.

1686451955940.png