Testing Battery State of Charge / Volts Only

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Bank size..

My battery bank is 410 AH. So running the stereo (<0.5 amps) is not something that I track since it can't suck out more than 12 AH if run the eniter 24 hours. Anchor lights are close to breaking the treshold (2.5 amps) at 30 AH each night. The reefer certianly does at 84 AH minimum a day in a moderate climate. The macerator does not even come close even at 25 amp cousumption since it is only on for 4/60ths of an hour for 0.41 AH
Bill,

It seems you could be quite close to a 50% discharge or over after just two days of sailing and hanging on the hook.

If you charge with alternator only the general rule of thumb is that you will be able to recharge to about 75 to 80% of capacity when using only an alternator. To get beyond this SOC you would need very, very long engine run times to reach 100%.

Perhaps I misread but this is what I saw in your post..

Two nights of anchor lighting = 30 ah X 2 = 60 ah
Two days of refrigeration = 84 ah X 2 = 168 ah
These two draws alone are = 228 amp hours over just two days on the hook.

If you can only effectively recharge to 80% of your banks capacity while under cruising conditions, via alternator charging, that makes your usable bank 328 amp hours and not 410 unless you have a way of getting back to 100%. From an 80% SOC that leaves a 123 ah usable bank before you hit the 50% SOC threshold. Based on your numbers just your anchor light and refer use 144 ah per day.

If you were to draw 228 amp hours from even your full 100% 410ah bank you are already below 50% of bank capacity and you have not even added in stereo, lighting, or nav equipment.

If you were out for a few days and drew off 228ah from an 80% SOC you could potentially see a 25% SOC..

Perhaps I just misread your numbers.....

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
Irwin 34 Citation Middle River, Md.
Some don't really Care...

There have been so many threads about batteries & their state of charge etc that it makes me think battery technology is too complex that joe public will not be ready to handle hybrid & electric vehicles.

Boaters tend to be more "hands on" as far as batteries & general upkeep of things on their boats but I can't see the general public getting into the science of battery technology in a big way. Most just want to get in the car, turn the key & go. I predict the failure of hybrid & electric vehicles for the public at large because they are too complex.
just because a person don't understand something does not mean they won't except it and use it. If that were true a lot of boaters would not be..
You make to many AssSumtions. Most folks get along just fine by knowing that if there battery goes dead they have to charge it and sometimes they may just replace the thing.
Also, just because a person DON'T know something doesn't mean they arn't smart enough to learn it. Some of us just don't really care about all the little details pertaining to everything in life and some of us just don't have time for everything.
If you enjoy learning all that stuff thats great...I'm knot nocking it,, just don't assume the rest of us can't grasp the complexities because we Choose not to .

Happy sailing.
Brian

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Maine Sail
Thanks for taking the time out of your life for all those top drawer "show and tell shows" you do.....

Your latest "show and tell" is why I installed a seperate start battery last year.

My boat came with a battery status check volt meter LOOKS GOOD HUH and I have a hydrometer and used it to check my wet cell batteries just to make sure what there condition was..... before I did similar mini tests.

Thanks.....it keeps me thinking but not too hard.:+1:

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Mailsail...

Two hydrometers and two digital voltmeters--one each on the boat and garage workbench. Old school upbringing working in a gas station in highschool in the 60's and owning one too many MG/Triumph's with Lucas electrics...

We had an analog voltmeter that had stiff pointed prongs that would pierce the tar-top of wet cells to get a per-cell voltage reading, but hydrometers were much more accurate...

Apr 6, 2009
2 240 Muskegon MI
I must say that I was one of those that used a volt meter right after I turned off the motor. From a previous thread, I read that I needed to apply a slight draw for a minute or two to read the correct voltage... that never seemed too accurate.

How do you determine if a battery has gone bad? Both my batterys read to 100%, but that can't be the way to find out that they are both working.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
You could always put a load tester on them.
I must say that I was one of those that used a volt meter right after I turned off the motor. From a previous thread, I read that I needed to apply a slight draw for a minute or two to read the correct voltage... that never seemed too accurate.

How do you determine if a battery has gone bad? Both my batterys read to 100%, but that can't be the way to find out that they are both working.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Fun...

that's where a hydrometer comes in, assuming you have wet cell batteries. The specific gravity of each cell will tell you the state of charge. When you have one cell (or more) significantly different than the bulk of the others, you have a bad cell and should begin planning on replacing that battery very soon.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
that's where a hydrometer comes in, assuming you have wet cell batteries. The specific gravity of each cell will tell you the state of charge. When you have one cell (or more) significantly different than the bulk of the others, you have a bad cell and should begin planning on replacing that battery very soon.
It should be noted that readings of either the electrolyte via hydrometer or an open circuit voltage reading both still require the battery be in a resting state to eliminate the surface charge.

Only a hydrometer though can really accurately tell you differences between cells after sufficient resting time which allows the electrolyte to reach a steady and stable state. Surface charges can still throw off a hydrometer just like they can a volt meter..

G

Batteries

Our house bank has two wet cell 8D batteries that Interstate Batteries rates at 250 AH each. Before I installed the digital Link 2000 two years ago I always kept an eye on our boat's built-in DC analog voltmeter. One thing that I have discovered since is that they both have been very reliable devices for displaying battery level status. The Link 2000 is a bit more precise because it displays decimal level volts, whereas the analog is needle position.

In both cases, with the level of draw our boat consumes, it takes two days before it is time to fire up the Genset. By then the analog meter reads a shade over 12 volts and the Link 2000 displays 12.1 volts. Of course by then we need to heat water for washing and cleaning, recharge the battery banks, etc. I run the 8KW Genset for two hours, which is enough time to do the chores we expect from it.

We've completed four two month cruises plus many other shorter stints on the water over the years and this routine works great for our needs. Some might say our boat is a floating condo and I would say you be right. Belle-Vie is a very comfortable Passage 42 with lots of amenities, but she is also a wonderful sailing boat. I suppose one could be more anal about the battery status, but I've found the groove that works very well for us.

Terry Cox

S

Subsailor

Battery Condition

If you really want to find the condition of a lead-acid battery then you need to fully charge a battery record SG & then conduct a test discharge. Recording voltage drop, AH discharged and ICV. Been done that way for years and years on submarines. Voltage will give an indication but not a true capacity. There is no getting around that. Which is why submarines conduct them and use them to determine weak cells, corrective charges and which ones to jumper out.

May 6, 2004
Hunter 37C Seattle
"Unfortunately I fell asleep and did not take the next photo . . ."

I have lost all confidence in Main Sail.