Testimonial

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Shipmates: It is always nice to recieve messages like this - it makes my day. Randy gave me permission to dispaly it on the forum.

"Hello Don, just wanted to let you know that I have been using your materials and am learning to sail my 83 Catalina 30 better. I have been club racing and last week we were able finish third on the water and after a PRFH correction took a second place in a fleet of ten. We were racing against, Corsair 28, T-Bird, Viking 28, CS27,Hunter 30, Mirage 24, C&C 24, 2 San Juan 24's, . The on water finish was Corsair 28, T-Bird, Then us. Your sailtrim guide helped us trim and react to the changing wind conditions that were everything from brisk to light to almost none. In the last 200 yards we were 4th and able to react to a wind shift that spun out the Viking 28 and we were able to overtake him , because we reacted and trimmed up. See photo just before the Viking had an accidental jibe. The photo is looking through our boom at the finish line.
Thanks again for the Sailtrim Guide."

Randy,
83 Cat 30 SRFK M-25
Hull # 3357
"Effen"
Toronto, Ontario

If you are a middle to back of the pack racer or an average cruiser, do you know what it takes to move to the next level? The answer is not much!! By next level I don't mean your sailing ability will compare to Rich H, Joe from San Diego, Stu J, Alan or Randy but you'll know your way around the water and you'll be better at sail trim than 50% of the sailors worldwide.

When you break sail trim down to its basic elements, as Randy has, there are only 4 things you're adjusting and there are only so many sail trim controls for the main and jib. Once you learn what these sail trim controls are adjusting you're almost home. Lastly, now all you need to know is the correct settings for each sail trim control for each point of sail and wind condition and that is it. Learning that part is hard but I've made it easy for you - check out my SAIL TRIM CHART and SAIL TRIM USERS GUIDE. If you have a lot of time on your hands you can develop your own chart but why waste your time when I've done all the hard work for you!!

Like any sport, if you want to move to the next level it takes a little work - but not much. Do you think the guys I mentioned above were born with sail trim knowledge? They weren't. They took the time to get good at the sport.

What separates middle to back of the pack racres and average cruisers from the racers up front and the cruisers who catch and pass you is execution. The leaders perform the same function - they just do it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.