tempest

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

Built like a tank

For information on the Tempest, check out the unofficial O'Day Website, which is listed in the Links section of this site. Before I bought my O'Day 23, I looked at few Tempests. I think they are a great looking; very traditional lines, and a HUGE cockpit. The cabin is very small and good for getting out of the rain, but it is not a comfortable place to spend a lot of time. The boats are built like nautical tanks, and I am told that they are very stable and seakindly. They are probably not great in light air, as they are quite heavy for their length. If you are thinking of buying one, you should know that they stopped making Tempests before many features that we now take for granted became standard: bow and stern pulpits, life lines, anchor lockers, marine toilets that do not vent directly overboard, etc. Even the "newest" Tempest available will probably be at least thirty years old and is going to show its age. That being said, the Tempests I saw were priced to sell, anywhere from $4000 (a boat the owner had previously lavished money on, but had clearly ignored for a couple of years) to a guy who asked me to name my price (hull in good shape, no interior left to speak of). You should also check out the owner's association section at goodoldboats.com; I corresponded with a Tempest owner I found there. good luck.

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

There is a Tempest that lives on the mooring next to mine. Its in really pretty condition with white superstructure on a blue hull. The owner reports that it is extremely seaworthy an stiff as the winds pick up. As other posters have pointed out, it is designed for use as a day sailer with shelter as opposed to a long range cruiser, but since most of us day sail most of the time, I think its a great boat. I also thinks they're beautiful. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Status
Not open for further replies.