Temperature Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Cook

Part 1 Last weekend, after motoring out of port, I shut down the motor but didn't turn off the key. Later, I noticed that the heat gage had gone into the lower part of the red. The shift was still in forward. I have a Volvo-Penta MD7A (13hp) motor, but don't yet know what kind of prop is on it. Is the heat a result of the prop turning without the motor on to lubricate the system? I recalled a friend saying that he sailed with the tranny in reverse to stop the prop from turning. I tried this and the temp did come down slowly. Part 2 (the saga continues) Right after buying the boat, the tranny cable shorted across the battery terminal and melted in two. I replaced it with a matching cable, but I am not sure that it is adjusted correctly. Sometimes it seems to be in forward (or reverse, I don't recall which) when the shifter is in the neutral position. How do I make adjustments? Thanks for all your help, Jim Cook "Dream Chaser"

A

Art Dufresne

temp rise ok

When you turn off the engine you also shut down the means of cooling it as well as the source of the heat. It is common for the temperature of to rise for a while before going back down. If you have a temperature gauge in your car try shutting off the engine then turning the key back on so the gauges come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.