Telltale location

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce Trotter

My Mac 25 main sail does not have tell tales so I bought some that you apply (self stick) but have not seen any thing on where they go exactly. My plan is to place 3 on the back of the sail about a foot in from the edge and about a foot above or below the battens. Any suggestions?

D

Doug Rodrigues

They work great!

Tell tails improved my setting of the sails to optimum advantage. However, if you place the jib sail tell tails more than 8 inches back from the luff, you won't be able to see them. The main sail will block your view. I may even apply a second set of tell tails to the edge of the luff to compliment the ones I already have!

B

billy w

tell tales

Main -Put the tell tales at the very edge of the leech about 1/2 inch or so above each batten pocket. They need to flow out about 6 inches behind sail. Jib - Use two sets (streamer on both sides of jib) evenly spaced up the Jib and about 12 inches from the leading edge of the jib.

A

arty

three sets

Telltales show attached flow. You should use three sets - one 1/4 from the top; one 1/4 from the bottom; the third in the middle. The bottom is the easiest to see from the windward rail, but the middle are the most important. The top tells are only useable to establish correct lead position for the sheet (all 3 sets should break evenly when the helmsman luffs into the wind). Locating tells too far forward is a mistake. The headstay and jib wires can interfere with the flow. 12" frum the luff is about right for a 25' boat. Lose those store-bought ones. They'll fray to nothing in no time. Plus, they stick to the sail. Cotton yarn is by far the best stuff, and cheap too. Get green for starboard and red for port. Classy! By convention, the port tell is located just below the starboard so you know which is which w/o having to think about it. While you're at it, don't forget the telltales on the upper shrouds. Put them at about shoulder height. On the backstay too, for when you're sailing with the wind behind 100 degrees. Billy is right on the mainsail leech location. The only ones I ever pay any attention to, though, are those at the top batten. When you're on the wind, they should just be stalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.