Teak Trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Has anybody replaced their teak trim that is about a 1/2" wide and runs over top of the cabin ports? Mine is starting to split. I was also thinking of removing the teak, epoxy the holes and putting a pin strip instead.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We call them the "eyebrows." And yes, some have replaced, some have added the stripes and some have completely removed all traces of them.

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 MkII Foss Harbor Marina, Tacoma, WA
I removed mine. They are a PITA to keep looking nice. I simply put a new s.s. screw and trim washer in each of the screw holes. I think the boat looks a little cleaner w/out the "eyebrows".

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I got to take them off anyway so will see if I like the look without anything. Thanks

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
When I rehabbed my 1976, I left a LOT of the exterior teak off. The eye brow strips on each side of the forward cockpit, the piece on the sliding hatch, and even the external hand rails. The boat looks just fine without them, and I don't even miss the handrails when going forward!

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Foolproof, to each their own look. But to me that looks kinda naked!
I love the excessive amount of teak that I have to refinish on an annual basis.
It gives the Catalina a saltier look with it. I think the new boats look a lil' boring when they replaced the teak with all stainless. BTW, the handrails give you something to grip if U slip, & they're a great place to lash down a dinghy, etc. Besides, its kinda zen like to sand & varnish, & wax & paint &.......

Jan 6, 2010
I agree with JR

Years ago I got fed up with having to re-varnish my wood on top, especially the handrails on my 1980 C30. I also found for me and guests that the forward handrails at times caused tripping problems when doing work at the mast with sails lines boomvang etc.

I removed them about 10 years ago under a promise I made to myself, that if there ever came a time where I wished I'd had them, I would put them back on.

Two years ago, One of the summer thunderheads roared down on us. So on a wet deck, 35KTS w/seas building I had a helleva time getting my main down. All my guests had no sailing experience so I kept them seated in the cockpit.

Well, I slipped a bunch of times, once to the deck by the shrouds, almost going o'board. I remembered what I said and planned to reattach them, but with alittle modification.

I always tell folks who have varnishing questions, that "Life is too short to having to redo your own teak constantly". I found a PVC material called Sensibuilt on the Fiberon site.
http://www.fiberondecking.com/products/decking

They make fachia & decking that look closer to teak than what I've seen out there. I removed all the wood and copied all. Easy to work with. Some are tricky, but you may find a good wood shop to make them. Fiberon makes a brush on finish for cut edges but as the product was new, I didn't like it Routered edges come out nice & smooth.

I used MEK for "melting" the edge cuts, but after awhile it got a little chaulky looking. Maybe Fiberon has a better solution nowadays. Other than that, it looks great & no more EXTERIOR varnishing, except the shortened handrails.

Here's pics on how this stuff looks......

CR

Attachments

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
I always tell folks who have varnishing questions, that "Life is too short to having to redo your own teak constantly". I found a PVC material called Sensibuilt on the Fiberon site.
http://www.fiberondecking.com/products/decking
Hey Ron,
I've worked a bit with Trex and found it can get "bendy" if left unsupported for a while.

I noticed you made your hatch boards out of Fiberon. How have they held up? Any warping?

BTW, stuff looks great in your pics.
Jim

Jan 6, 2010
Jim,

I did have the same concern about bendyness.
I figured that if I made the slats & they were not ridged enough, that I would epoxy stiffeners on the inside. That was the plan.

I also wondered if direct sun/heat would cause a sag, but so far (2 years) I have not experienced a problem with rigidity at all pal.

Let me know if you will try this stuff....

CR

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I also like how it looks. The strips that run over the ports (eye brows?) are quite long and I haven't seen any teak that is that long in one piece, let alone shipping it. One of my jib sheets must've grabbed a corner because I'm missing about a foot long end so now it looks worse. My deck is trex and I needed to place the joist every foot to reduce the sagging. Guess I'll need to visit my local HD or Lowes and see what they got.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Try looking at "PLASTEAK". Nice website. They have handrails in all sizes and match the teak color well. I too get fed up with all the prep work and oiling on all the teak on my Mark II. This model even comes with a long trim piece that extends the length of the coachwork above the windows and its has no value aside for looks. I used to love teak trim and once even enjoyed the cleaning oiling, but now I look at the new Catalina 30's with all stainless rails and grabs and all you have to do is polish them up now and then.

Good luck

Bob

Jan 6, 2010
Bob,

I looked Plasteak several years ago, and they sent me samples of the stuff.
Maybe they improved their line since then, but what they sent just didn't look enough like teak. It's recycled material & you could see the particles in it.

This was a good 5+ years ago, so things may have changed. Have them send you a sample to check out.

In the meantime, I will check out their handrails. Thanks for the info pal.......

CR

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
Thanks Ron,

I have to wonder just how long they (plasteak) lasts without fading in the tropical sun? Heck, even sunbrella degrades! Maybe that bleached teak look would not be so bad after awhile. I think the stainless handrails would be nice, but that leaves the bow sprit, cockpit coaming steps, transom step (ladder), coach trim, aft stowage (pilots seat) trim and entrance way boards. A heck of a lot of teak on these older Cats.

If anyone finds a quality replacement, please keep us posted.

Bob
Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.