Teak seats in cockpit

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bruce Sabine

Because of leaks through the cockpit seats and becouse the teak and surrounding sealant just plain looked bad, I am replacing the teak and sealant. I have reproduced the teak panels and and quite happy with the way they turned out. I am ready to install them and I want it to be as close to original as possible. This is what I need to know. 1) What sealant should be used to bed the teak to fiberglass, the teak is secured in place by approx. 50 screws so adhesion is not the priority, being waterproof is. The original sealant was white in color. 2) What is the Black rubberlike sealant exposed between and around the teak slats and how is it applied. It looks much like the same sealant used on teak deaks.

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

adhesives

Bruce, I went back into the archives of one the marine surveying sites and found that what seems to be the most popular is Sikaflex 421. they recommended using the sikaflex primer first and then the adhesive. One of the others mentioned was Thiokol but apparently is is very difficult to work with. Also for the seams it appears that Boatlife Sandable silicon is good. I hope this helps good luck It sounds like a great project. Charlie Gruetzner

Status
Not open for further replies.