Teak hand rails mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
This is the year that I'm going to remove and fill the coring in the deck of my Seidelmann 34' exterior teak hand rails.

Does anyone (Surveyor???) know how they are secured to or through the deck?

Do I have to remove the headliner? (Big messy job on this boat)

They appear to have machine screws up through the deck to the bottom of the teak hand rail in which a nut is exposed below the teak plug. This is unlike the interior hand rails which have a wood screw through the exterior of the deck, through the headliner plywood and into the interior teak handrail. (I cored and resealed the interior ones last winter/spring.) No, the exterior and interior teak handrails are not installed directly opposite of each other!

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
On my 1967 Tartan 27' the outer hand rails are through bolted through the cabin top with a strip of teak (lath) underneath the bolt heads. No head liner.
The cabin handrails are bolted into the 'eyebrows' running over the port lights.

Your going to need to peek under that head liner I suspect.

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Neal. I'm sorry sheet metal screws from below into the teak hand rail. "Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction" starting at about page 277 gives some interesting ways you could overcome the problem from the top, basically potting a stud into the laminate with west epoxy. I could e-mail you a page or 2 great book!

Status
Not open for further replies.