Tartan Fantail questions

Jun 24, 2024
Tartan 26 Flathead Lake
Hello fellow sailor,
I live in Montana and sail on a lake and most likely my sailing will be day and some weekending. I have heard of a Tartan Fantail for sale in my area. I do not know the cost or condition yet.
I was hoping to get feedback on trailering to other lakes/reservoirs and stepping the mast? How do they to pointing up? Just how tender are they? As a 'sit in, not on' boat it's tipping moment and righting ability(yes, this shows I'm a novice sailer but to who else do I ask?)
Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You are sailing on a fun lake. I had the opportunity to visit about 10 years ago. We went sailing in some very light air.

The Tartan Fantail 26 would be a fun daysailer on the lake but not really an easy trailer boat with the "Deep Fin Keel".
1719246356755.png

Here is a write-up from 2013 that shares flattering info.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I think they are beautiful, and I've heard they sail very well, but as @jssailem mentions, not really a boat you'd launch from a trailer every time you sail. On a dock or a mooring would be the way to go. Since it has electric drive, the dock would be more convenient for charing the propulsion batteries.

They are expensive. There's only one on Yachtworld at this time, and as I recall it's about $90k, for a 2019 model. It's the daysailer version.

I would love to have one as my second (or third) boat.

It's like a poor man's Hinckley Daysailer. :)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
He never stated which lake.
Oh so true of his query. But in the "ABOUT" section of his profile he states he lives on Flathead Lake. This is a very large beautiful lake in Western Montana that stretches from Somers MT(near Kalispell) on the north to Polson MT on the south. I enjoyed a summer family reunion at the Flathead Lutheran Bible Camp, in 2010. We raced their sailboats and reconnected our widespread pioneer family members.

The area is the site of the massive glacial lake (Lake Missoula 13-15 thousand years ago) that through a series of floods shaped much of the geology we enjoy here in the Pacific Northwest.

I'd encourage you to visit this beautiful location.

Jun 24, 2024
Tartan 26 Flathead Lake
Thank you for the input. I am so thankful to have a forum as this to ask questions. Presently, as I have no slip and it is obviously beyond a weekend trailer sailer so it's a definite pass. A big part of that decision came from your input.
Thank you.
Still out there on the foredeck or grinding in the weekly bouy races. Keeping my eye and ears out for my boat

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
A trailerable weekender may limit your choices. I am not an expert on this topic, at all. A lot depends on your definition of a weekend, and how much comfort, or discomfort, factors into it. You're probably looking at the larger end of trailerables, like 26' or so. A porta-potty, some kind of cooking thing, and a cooler or small fridge.
You can get more, and very good help from this site if you put together a specification of what you're looking for in terms of functionality and comfort.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Not working for me.
Oh well. Maybe a screen size thing. The interface uses browser width to determine when to show that info. On my iPhone the horizontal size is a little too small, but when turned landscape is just wide enough. Different screen formats might get rendered differently.