Tank monitor

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Hi;
Looking for final advice as to whether to install the Tank Tender or an external tank monitor such as the Tank Edge. I like the simplicity of the Tank Tender in that it requires no power (electricity), but here and there I have read reports about waste tank blockage of the plastic tube. Not sure how this would happen if it is regularly cleared. Would use this only to monitor two fresh water tanks and a waste tank. Also like the minimal calibration hassles of the mechanical device..
Thanks.
Ilan

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I like the simplicity of the Tank Tender in that it requires no power (electricity), but here and there I have read reports about waste tank blockage of the plastic tube. Not sure how this would happen if it is regularly cleared.
The blockage isn't something that blocks the tube....Waste is full of animal fats that build up on sensors in a tank and inside that tube (also on tank walls). So "regularly cleared" requires pulling the tube out of the tank and cleaning it by hand with detergent and water. Scrubbing the inside of a tube would be impossible unless you have something like a bottle brush that has a long handle.

I hadn't heard of Tank Edge before, but it seems that a bunch of people are coming out with tank level indicators that use senders that mount on the outside of the tank. SCAD Scad Tank Monitors has been around for a quite a while and has an excellent reputation. They have single tank monitors and systems that can monitor up to 8 tanks. Calibration is easy (just follow the directions), only necessary once. Wiring is also easy and current draw is negligible. Price is reasonable too.

--Peggie

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
No help here either on the products you asked about. I have the SCAD So!o. It's worth the effort. I have a metal tank so I had to use the internal sensor. The foil external sensor is sweet if you have a plastic tank.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
Thanks. Will check it out.
PS: Peggie; I have your book! Great.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Scad solo on the plastic waste and water tanks. Works great!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I just bought SCAD TM1.... will be installing it on my aft holding tank, external strips. Looks relatively easy to install and program.

Greg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The "hard" part is calibrating the Empty and Full limits. You have to completely empty it the fill it up to the tank capacity. I can't drink that much beer at one time, so I used gallon jugs of lake water so I knew when I hit 18 gallons. :poop:
It's not perfect.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
You can see when it's full? My tank is metal. I may regret not replacing it instead of using an internal probe. :(
Yes....... plastic and can see fluid level. But also have a big inspection port that I can open up to view as well.