Taming the Jabsco Head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
There have been many messages regarding the Jabsco head, as provided in these, and many other, sailboats - back-filling. The standard solution has been to replace the joker valve, which many of us have done 2x per season.

Last time, early this year, I used the Joker valve from Raritan instead - their part number C253. It does fit, but a little tighter than the standard, and it does work. It's a little different design, using the back pressure to "tighten" the seal. So far this season, no back-ups - and therefore, no odor in the head. I'll update this post next year - but this may have done it!

Oct 1, 2008
Bavaria 36 Cruiser Nanaimo, BC
Hopefully Good News

Ken,
Please do update us as to success or not over the longer run. Many boaters suffer from this problem (and the joker is no joke). I know people who just replace the whole toilet every 2-3 years as when on sale, they are only slightly more expensive than the "large" rebuild kit.
Good luck,
Tom:D

robgs

May 24, 2004
Bavaria Vision 40 Rock Hall MD
Jabsco

Jabsco have introduced a new "Twist'n'Lock" version of the 29090 head which is designed to eliminate flooding. Earlier models can be modified to "TnL" with an available kit which I have seen at West Marine. I have not tried it myself (just replaced my joker valve for the first time).

Rob

Jun 7, 2004
Bavaria 36 Rock Hall, MD, USA
One full season - still good!

We finished one full season using the replacement joker valve - all is still well. She's out of the water, on the hard now, so no more updates until we're sailing again next Spring. So far, I would recommend this mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.