tall rig

Jan 30, 2014
I have found many sets of measurements for the rig sizes.
My 1996 wing with the performance package mast measures a little over 28'. I bought it from the original owner and he states it's a tall rig. The booklet in the boat has info on both rigs and that shows a standard rig 25' and tall 29'.
Do I have a tall rig if it's like 28.3'.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Interesting;

OK The "I" dimension for the tall rig is 29' but that is measured from the deck height, not the cabin top.
So if you figure the cabin is 9" then you would have a tall rig.

Hershey

Jan 30, 2014
Yes it did confirm their are several variations over the years. I do believe I have a tall rig. I am in the process of ordering new sails so I will double check the hoist length otherwise I will have to adjust goose neck position.

Jan 30, 2014
Go to sailboat data and look at Capri 22 TR specs.
If you say the tall rig mast is 30' why does the data site state the TR I 29' and P 28'.
If "I" is deck to top of mast and you say the mast is 30' then I would be 31' not 29'
They also state "I" on standard rig is 25' so no way would a 28' mast would be 28'
Am i loseing my mind here or does anybody really care?

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Hello :)

Best to go to Catalina direct --- someone there will be able to answer 100% correctly all the questions floating around here..

I guess I could go out in the snow and measure my mast .. but I'm real tired of this weather.
REAL TIRED !

Hershey

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
Hershey said:
Hello :)

Best to go to Catalina direct --- someone there will be able to answer 100% correctly all the questions floating around here..

I guess I could go out in the snow and measure my mast .. but I'm real tired of this weather.
REAL TIRED !

Hershey
If the mast is 28' long, you have a standard rig. The I measurement is from the top of the jib sheave to the deck which is 25' for a standard rig. P is the luff of the mainsail or 26' on the standard rig.

I too was buying a boat who thought it was a tall rig until I measured it.

Jan 30, 2014
So I guess I misinterpreted the" I" as top of mast but your saying the "I" is top of jib.
Well it looks like my new sails are going to be cheaper.

Aug 27, 2013
The "I" measurement is from the tack at the forestay parallel to the jib halyard exit on the mast. Neither the std or tall rig CP22's are masthead configurations which means they are both fractional rigs, i.e., their jib halyards don't go to the top. If you want to do a quick measurement, hook a tape to the main halyard and raise it to the top. It should be only a few inches from your masthead then measure to the mast base. That should tell you the true length of you mast and you can go from there.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Chris said:
The "I" measurement is from the tack at the forestay parallel to the jib halyard exit on the mast. Neither the std or tall rig CP22's are masthead configurations which means they are both fractional rigs, i.e., their jib halyards don't go to the top.
Bingo!!! "I" measurement is from deck to forestay attachment, not to masthead for a fractional rig. Here's a figure showing the fractional rig measurements. Since Chris and others have adequately answered these question, I'm just providing the picture. Yours truly, Captain Obvious

Attachments

Jan 30, 2014
This is the first fractional rig i have owned,i was getting hung up on the diagrams i have been looking at online,they all show the "I" all theh way to the top.
Now I know what i have,don't think I need a tall rig anyways sailing in the SF bay.
Thanks

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
It's not about the size of the rig, it's what you do with it.
That's my story I tell the wife... and she just rolls her eyes.

That is the reason why manufacturers provide mast height, as a different dimension, because it has nothing to do with sail measurements. Wow looking now, I see Catalina provides height from W/L to top of mast (which is actually THE MOST USEFUL measurement, as that'll give you bridge clearance numbers).
Some MORE fun:

and from Mauri Pro's website: http://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/Rig-Dimensions.html

NOTE the ISP, is I for SPIN, which ALSO insn't necessarily the top of the mast, as some spins are also fractional.
JSP is similar, not everyone has a sprit.

Jan 30, 2014
It's amazing how much I thought I knew about this topic, I really like these fourm's,a wealth of knowledge and opinions from others who really do know.